Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Little Fellow returns from vacation ...

I think it had been fully TEN days since I had the JOY of seeing my Little Fellow. He and his mom and dad took a family vacation for a family reunion on Kelly's side, and then down to see close friends in Arkansas. I missed them very much while they were away!
Today, Kelly had some important errands to do, so Brendan came over to The Beach House to spend a few hours.
I had never shown him the few Matchbox trucks I had because … they were high up on a shelf, and I had many other toys for him to play with. But after taking quite a long road trip, I thought he might enjoy playing with these trucks today … and he did! 
 It was kind of a warm day, and I don't have air conditioning (I don't NEED it!). Brendan doesn't do well with heat, but my hard wood floors are very cool and comfortable. I think that's why Brendan was laying down … plus, he could see the wheels on the truck go around better from that perspective.
And I also think our Little Fellow was quite exhausted from his long trip … not tired enough to take a nap (! … goodness, no!) but tired enough to kind of … lay around!  
Brendan is very lately into trains. So I got out all of my train books and showed them to him. I have one that opens up to six feet long that little doors and windows that open up … he liked this one very much. 
The book is actually more about the Richard Scarry characters than it is about trains, but it's a fun book and Brendan spent a very long time examining each page.
And the Micro-machines are always a hit with Brendan ... 

While I was fixing us something to eat, Brendan wandered around my little house. I found him "chillaxin" in my special bedroom chair ... 
I really think he was tired enough to take a nap … but … he was fine with just resting for a bit. 
We got out some of my Thomas the Train books and had fun with those for awhile ... 
And we had a ton of fun playing with the beach ball today … Brendan really really is a good ball player! He gets such a bang out of throwing it as hard as he can!
We played lots and lots of music. For awhile, I was playing the piano and he listened. I played the theme from "Frozen" as he sang along. He enjoyed it very much when I changed the "stops" on my piano to sound like bells and even a harpsichord.  
But then it was his turn to play … and he did! Very seriously too, with turning pages in my music books, etc.  
Look at this sleepy little face! Brendan has a favorite CD (children's songs, from Meijer Gardens) that we listen to in my car. The very last song on the CD is a beautiful instrumental piece, mostly piano and violin. I discovered something about Little Fellow today. He HUMS to instrumental music. And he does this completely on pitch and it comes from deep down within him. He is a very musical child! About five minutes into our drive back to his house, he was soundly sleeping … he was a very tired boy today! Love him so much. He is such a gift ...

No comments: