Monday, March 23, 2009

12 hours and then finally ... Padre Island

We drove out of El Paso very early this morning. This is the fourth time we have taken I-10 across the immense state of Texas, but it was still a joy to take in the beauty once again.
The Sierra Blanca Mts. were north of us (the left side of the van), while on the right side we passed the Ouitman, Eagle, Van Horn, and Wylie Mts. Since we don't have mountains in Michigan, it's a special treat for me and I never get tired looking at the rock formations, the shifting shadows, the forbidding cliffs and changing colors. I can't say the vegetation is my favorite, though ~ there is a lot of low brush and shrubby kinds of trees. I've hardly ever met a tree I didn't immediately love ... but these are an exception.
On each side of us, along I-10, train tracks ran all the way until the I-20 splits off to go northeast to Dallas ... and we saw a few trains too!
The speed limit along much of I-10 is 80 mph, and believe it or not, people bike (as in 10-speed) along the shoulder of this road, rather close to traffic ...

"O Lord, you are glorious and more majestic than the everlasting mountains ..." PSA. 76:4
To give you some idea of how big Texas is (in case you don't know), our hotel in El Paso was right off the I-10, exit 24B. We traveled I-10 through San Antonio and our exit was 574 to then get on the 37 south to Padre Island. But you can actually stay on I-10 east all the way to Houston and beyond to the Louisiana border ... the last exit number on our map is 877.
We were nearing Kerrville when the terrain got greener and greener ... we were entering hill country. This is the area near where Nick and Rachel will be moving. We did finally make it to Padre Island just before the sun went down tonight. We were able to take a short walk along the beach and listen to the waves crash against the shore. We are staying right across the street from where we were last October. This hotel is newer and nicer than the other one. We're pretty tired tonight, but happy to be here. The wind is howling outside the window of our room, and I am loving the sound.


"The voice of the LORD echoes above the sea. The God of glory thunders. The LORD thunders over the mighty sea. The voice of the LORD is powerful; the voice of the LORD is full of majesty." PSA. 29:3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Carol and Don: What a great variety of scenery. All adds to
the great earth God created.