Saturday, August 8, 2009

Our notorious Thomas K.

Looking at the above picture of our Tommy cat, it's hard to believe he has gotten in so much trouble around our neighborhood ... but over the years, he has gained quite a reputation. We hadn't heard any bad reports about him in many months until the other day when our nearby neighbor told her very sad story of a cat fight that went bad for her "Scotty cat." Guess who "won" the fight?!
I listened patiently as she told me all of the gruesome details of her Scottie's injuries, and then as she added other sad stories she hadn't told me about ... and ALL this time, these past few months, I thought our Thomas perhaps had settled down a bit and was in the clear! He had often gotten blamed for naughtiness that he wasn't even guilty of! There ARE two other black cats in our neighborhood ... but none that strut their stuff quite like Tommy.
So, after a great deal of lamentation, I came to the decision that Tommy had to be "deported" out of our house, our street, our neighborhood, and taken to live with Shane at his apartment. Tommy is treated like a king there anyway, but it is a third floor apartment and there is no accessibility to going in and out ... and Thomas is hugely an outdoor cat, only coming in to have his cream twice per day.
Sigh. The deed has been accomplished. Tom has been delivered to the other side of town where he will no longer harrass the cats in our area. Our other neighbor will no longer be able to tell me how Thomas "breaks in" to her house and eats all of their cats' food (she has a pet door!) ... nor will the lady around the block be able to complain that our Tommy has "tresspassed" into her yard and chased her kittens to the top of their tree ...
Nor will I have a faithful little friend who follows me all over our yard as I pull weeds and fuss about with my plants ...
It was such an odd day today ... out of habit, I kept watching for Tommy and waiting for him to come inside ... I was SURE I heard him meowing on the front porch!
I will miss our beautiful black cat, so playful, so FAST, such a hunter ... I'm sure there is not another cat anywhere quite like him!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have one you can have. ha

Anonymous said...

anonymous was me, carol (the "other Carol). I enjoy your blog every day! I begin listening early and leave it playing on my office computer nearly the whole day.

Sabrina said...

sorry to hear about thomas k's eviction although I am sure the neighborhood cats will be happy- maybe now is the time to get a new cat that can be an indoor cat instead? or maybe a poodle- I hear they live long and are good pets? wink wink- just kidding.

Thursday said...

Ohhh, that is so sad. But it had a happier ending that I was fearing...at least he gets to be with someone familiar.

Pets sure get into your heart, don't they?