Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Yesterday in Detroit ...

It was with happy anticipation that I drove to Detroit and back yesterday. First of all ~ Shane, Dylan and I were meeting Ruthanne and Terry for a Tiger ball game ~ our third annual such event. But also, Shelley was going to spend a little time with us before the game and introduce us to her darling baby Nolan ... AND we were going to be able to play with Matthew for a little bit too. Wonderful! I had just the previous day replenished my huge foam sticker container, so I dug out a few dozen dinosaur stickers and plopped them in a baggie to share with Matthew, the dinosaur expert! He knows all of their very long and scientific names and pronounces them with the most alluring little lisp ...
Shelley is an accomplished amazing artist and a published illustrator of quite a few children's books. I had purchased two via Amazon and brought them with me for her autograph. And she totally surprised me with another one of her books, the first one she illustrated for the Giggle Heart Adventures series. I've been reading through it this morning and it is by far my favorite. We've all been encouraging Shelley to write and THEN illustrate her own excellent and imaginative stories because she has so much talent!
I am so pleased to have these autographed books for my library! :)

This is my grand-nephew Nolan ... isn't he just an adorable baby? He loves cameras and isn't a bit shy. He is beautiful and eight months old today!

We had great seats at the Tiger game, a wonderful gift from Ruthanne and Terry, right down the first base line, row 20. The weather was perfect. We got all comfortable in our seats and Ruthanne and I proceeded to chatter away the entire game ... we have no idea what really happened, and since the Tigers lost to the Orioles 8 to 2, I guess we didn't miss much. It was just great to be there in person at Comerica Park no matter what the outcome.
We arrived back in Grand Rapids at about 2:00 this morning, safe and sound! Because of my tendency to kind of almost fall asleep while driving day or night (I could tell you stories, but they are kind of scary), I had asked friends to pray for our safety on the road! I'm very thankful to tell you that I never even got sleepy on the way home ~ between Shane and Dylan talking to me and checking to be sure I was okay, listening to some good music, plus a little extra caffeine intake ~ and kind people praying for us ~ I was wide awake the whole drive ... however, I definitely did NOT get up at my usual 6:30 this morning!

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

So glad that you all had fun at the game and that you arrived back safe and sound too!