Friday, March 1, 2024

February 28 Little Cal

Wednesday:  I picked up this sweetie-pie boy at preschool at noon today and we drove over to my house. I have a playlist of my favorite songs that I sing to as we drive. Cal's getting familiar with the songs (he loves music) and is beginning to sing along. You should have heard his little voice belting out "Holy Forever" today in the back seat of my car. "Your Name is the highest, Your Name is the greatest. Your Name stands above them all ..." I loved singing with this little boy such a wonderful song about our Savior. 

Cal asked me right away about the "big red and blue race cars" that I had out last week for him to play with. I was anticipating he would ask that question. Here's the deal about those cars: (1) They require THREE AAA batteries each to operate; (2) they zoom so fast that they jump the tracks EVERY SINGLE time and end up under some piece of furniture that is difficult to move and reach--but they continue to roar, even though they are up against a wall (hence, running out the batteries); and (3) the track the are supposed to run on is difficult to assemble, and I have a sore on my right thumb that further hinders me putting the track together. SO ... I told Cal that I had a sore finger, that the track was difficult to put together, hoping (against hope) that this would "table" the notion of those race cars. The first thing Cal said was: "Oh! I can put the track together for you, Gwamma!" Thankfully, I was able to distract Cal with another unrelated activity and he never mentioned the race cars again. Whew.

Instead, we played with the Matchbox cars in the play room for quite awhile (always a weekly "hit"), and we also played puppets and stuffed animals ... OH! And we watched the birds at my feeders for a very long time. It was so cute to hear Cal ask about a certain bird. He was pleased if I could tell him what their names were; i.e. "Starlings", "Sparrows", etc. But when I couldn't think of the Biological name for a particular bird when asked, this is what Cal said: "Gwamma. Get your bird book. Let's see if we can find it in there!" And we DID. We grabbed my "Field Guide to Birds of Michigan" and looked it up. It was a Nuthatch. Cal likes all the weird names ("Flicker", "Bunting", Catbird", etc.) that are given to birds--I do too!

I only took a few pictures today:

Cal enjoying his "Mac'n Cheese"
& "ChocaMuck"

Here are a few more I took with my phone of Cal relaxing on the soft round chair in my bedroom while cuddling with "EDEN" my microwavable stuffed animal. We threw her in the microwave for one minute and Cal enjoyed a nice, warm cuddle for ... a few minutes!





Cal was pretty mellow during the few hours he played today at my house. I sensed he was a little bit tired out. At 3:00, I let him watch an episode (perhaps it was two) of "Dino Dina" while I put a few of our toys back where they belong.

THEN we drove back to Cal's house and greeted Erin and Aidan coming off their school bus. Erin and I always visit while she eats some after school snacks--mostly cucumber, cantaloupe, and strawberries. I had a nice time playing with these guys for a little while before Dylan and Kelly returned home. Kelly had made a lentil soup and garlic bread dinner which was very yummy. 

So thankful for this good day with the grandchildren. I did interact briefly with Brendan today too. He and Cal played a nice card game of Pokemon, which was nice to see them do together. Aidan wanted ME to play a few video games, and he TRIED to show me how to use the game control, but I am just too old to learn some things! I was a flop. That's okay. It was just nice to be with Aidan for awhile.

No comments: