Friday: When I arrived this afternoon to pick Erin up for her sleepover, Brendan asked if I would sit down for an "interview", part of a homework assignment for his History class. I guess he was supposed to interview someone OLD = his grandma! The questions were fun and interesting too--some answers requiring longer responses than a simple "yes" or "no". One of the questions was: "Tell me everything you know about WWII." Yikes. It was before my time, but we studied it extensively in high school and I still remember a lot of that information. Obviously, I had to summarize. One of the other questions was: "What song do you remember well from when you were 15?" I was 15 back in 1968 when the Viet Nam war was escalating. But the song I remember best was actually from 1962--however, even six years later it was still a banner song for us in '68: "Blowin' in the Wind," by Bob Dylan.
Erin's school bus dropped the kids off while I was in the middle of this interview. Erin sat with me as I finished answering questions. I would have liked to have done a better job with my answers, but Brendan could only write so much on the paper he had with him, and I didn't want to overwhelm him either.
Erin and I left her house at about 4:30 and came directly to my house. We are going to go to Deer Tracks tomorrow morning. They close over there at 6pm on Friday nights and we would not have enough time to do everything on our list in one hour's time.In anticipation of Erin's sleepover, I designed a little MENU for her to use with choices for her meals. Erin liked this a lot! I had fun designing the menu too! Erin chose Cheeseburgers for dinner, with chips on the side, apple juice, and an ice cream CONE (except I could have sworn she said SUNDAE--so that's what I made for her) for dessert. Erin actually LIKED the cheeseburger and requested a second one! She said it was almost as good as Culver's burgers! I didn't fry up another burger for her, though, because we hadn't eaten our dessert yet and we needed to save room for popcorn when we watched our movie.
Erin was pretty intent on making a mini stuffed animal for her good friend, Emmy (who lives down the street from Erin), and even brought stuffing along with her in her overnight bag.
We couldn't find any appropriate material in my sewing bag with which to fashion a panda bear; so, we actually cut up an old pair of underwear (don't tell Emmy!) and used it for our bear. I can't remember if I took any pictures of the finished project. I even got out my sewing machine (which fascinated Erin completely) and used it to help us stitch the material together. We used a little panda bear pattern that we found on the web.Erin also worked on painting a little bird bath for our bird community (at the side of my house). Didn't she do such a nice job painting it? We hung it up outside Saturday morning before we left for Deer Tracks.
We decided to watch "The Princess Bride" again because we like it so much and we laugh at the funny parts together. However, since we didn't get the movie started until nearly 8pm, we skipped the parts that Erin asked me to skip (the dungeon part where Wesley is being tortured). We ate our popcorn, and it was nearly 10pm when we got tucked in. I truly believed (!!) that Erin was tired enough to go to sleep almost immediately ... but my belief was misplaced. Erin was fully awake until a little after 11. She said she needed her "sleeping vitamin." I had none of those magical pills, so we suffered her sleeplessness out for awhile until I tucked her in for the 10th time and played quiet music for her.






No comments:
Post a Comment