Tuesday, May 14, 2024

May 12 Mother's Day

Sunday:  Today is Mother's Day! I know this is a rather manufactured "holiday", and one that can be not very happy for many people in various circumstances. But I decided that TODAY, I would enjoy it. 

I AM A MOTHER. My boys are the best gift I have ever received.

I failed a lot as a mother, but the Lord has forgiven me for my selfish and often "ignorant" mothering. I'm learning to forgive myself, but it is a process.

I'll tell you the best thing, though, about THIS Mother's Day:

Terry, Ruthanne, and I all attend second service at Calvary, and sit in the exact same seats every single week (I know--so predictable). This week, a young woman and little girl came into our row and sat right next to me. She quietly introduced herself and her daughter. I can't begin to guess her age--maybe 25? She has only been in America for 7 years. She is from China, and her name is Youyou. The service had not started yet, so we had a chance to chat a little bit. Youyou is a single mom. Her daughter is two. She is recently divorced, but she does not seem bitter--just quiet--about that. I told her that I was a single mom for many years a very long time ago. She looked at me right in the eyes and ... we just immediately connected. It was such a wonderful thing. We had the nicest conversation--mostly about how faithful the Lord is, and how only He can meet the deepest needs of our hearts. Youyou is such a sweet person. I am so thankful I met her! I told her she made my day, and tears came to her eyes. We exchanged phone numbers and have already "talked" via text a few times. What a blessing this is to me.

But equally nice was being invited over to Dylan and Kelly's for a little visit this afternoon. It's been over two weeks since I have seen any of them because of my trip to Florida, and I have missed them so much. I arrived at about 3:00 and only stayed two hours--but it was such a fun time. 

I am really thankful for Dylan and Kelly. They are loving and kind to me as a mom. I enjoy watching them love on their kiddos. I love hearing about their lives. I didn't snap any pictures of them--I am always distracted by their little "tribe."

This first picture is of Aidan giving Cal an early birthday present. Kelly told me that Aidan saved up his own money to buy this LEGO car for his little brother. Look at their dear faces!

Aidan helped Cal open his present and built it too. Good job, Aidan. Grandma is so proud of you.
These three cuties are a scream together. To listen to their conversations is truly a treasure. I have to be careful not to laugh out loud--I don't want them to think I don't take them seriously. They are so darling. Brendan is past the darling stage--but I love him so much. I was attempting to say, "Truly He is risen!" in Greek to Brendan when I walked in the door today; and he very sweetly corrected my pronunciation of "Alisthos ..." which I appreciated! Brendan gets his language expertise from Dylan.
Erin was stealing my phone and snapping "selfies" whenever she could. She absolutely kills me. I could squeeze her forever I think.
Look at Cal's cute little face ...
Oh.my.word.
Erin got very creative and decided to make a "TRAIN" face. Okay then. !!!!
I was happy, also, to be in the same room with my son that I don't see very many times during the year. I'm always glad to see him because he holds a special place in my heart. Perhaps he does not believe this, or maybe he would rather it wasn't true--but it just is--and I will always love him. 

At one point while I was over at the house, Kelly came down to the playroom and looked quite SAD. Apparently she accidentally backed into my car in the driveway and left a little mark. !!! I could absolutely NOT care less about anything like that, and I told her so. I hope she believes me. I love her to pieces and would not want her to worry.

Later in the day, I was able to text back and forth with Jesse. I am super thankful for him too. I know he has my back (as the saying goes) and I so appreciate his love for me.

SO ... all of these things made for a very happy Mother's Day.

No comments: