Thursday, May 30, 2024

May 28 Dylan is FORTY!

Tuesday:  How is it possible that Dylan, my youngest child, 3rd much-loved son is 40??!?!?! Well! I could say it makes me feel super old ... but then, Dylan's birthday is not supposed to be about ME. So there.

I made Dylan a card for his birthday. I hope he likes it--I worked a long time on it. It's difficult, sometimes, to find just the right pictures or write adequate words to express true feelings sometimes. Perhaps it's that way for everyone. I mean, when I read Hallmark cards they SOUND complimentary and gracious but ... some of them are just plain weird--especially Mother's Day cards! No one is that perfect!

I chose these pictures because they are ones that I feel show his true self. Dylan is a writer, an artist with words (and music); he is always a student (I love this about him), often a teacher (and a good one at that); but he is also a husband and father (two of the most difficult "roles" he will ever live), a friend to many, a close friend to some--and all of this takes a lot of work. Oh--and I failed to mention that he has been working on his doctorate this year, so this "student" thing is taking a lot of effort on his part. I hope he knows that I am proud of him (not that it actually matters that much)--but truly, I have appreciated watching him grow into manhood.

I often tell people (it's actually my personal mantra) that "you are never too old to totally screw up your life!" because I did exactly that myself. And not just my life, but bad decisions I made had a negative impact on my sons as well. I take full responsibility for it--I know the Lord has forgiven me (which is a huge relief), and I've asked the boys to forgive me--but some things go beyond forgiveness, and that's all there is to it.

I took this card over to Dylan on the evening of his birthday, along with a small batch of chocolate chip cookies:

FRONT:

INSIDE:
BACK:

My favorite picture is the inside one--it was taken this past Christmas Day. Dylan is sitting on the steps of their great room watching his kiddos open some presents. The loving expression on his dear face is so precious. Sometimes being a dad can be downright overwhelming--and I pray for Dylan about this all the time--so I am always happy when I see him relaxed and just enjoying the moment.

The back of Dylan's card is a scan of a birth announcement I was "commissioned" to do for Dylan's friend, Micah, who was born the same year (September 1984). One night while Dylan slept, I held his little hand in mine and sketched what you see here. It's not super realistic, but it's the best I could do. I remember how softly Dylan slept as I did this sketch (he was always a sound sleeper). 

I love you, Dylan , and I am super thankful for you, dear son.

No comments: