Thursday, May 30, 2024

May 29 Cal AND Aidan!

Wednesday:  Aidan ran a fever last night and was feeling all-around under the weather today, so he did not go to school. Instead, he came with Cal over to my house for the afternoon. Aidan was a little subdued, but he played quietly and nicely. We had a very nice few hours together.

Before drove over to pick the boys up, I noticed a LOT of activity at my bird feeders. Apparently, the Starlings have had "babies", although to look at them--they are HUGE--almost adult-sized. Here is how I KNOW they are babies, though. The "mom" or "dad" would go to my window feeder, pick up a peanut in its beak, and then fly over to the pole, where THREE "babies" had wide-open mouths waiting to be fed! The parent would plop a peanut into one mouth, and then the other two would have a FIT that they were not chosen first! This scene went on for 20 minutes (LOUDLY) and was amazing to watch. I had no idea Starling babies were that big. They were probably born weeks ago--but Starlings are BIG birds, and quite aggressive too--the smaller birds stay out of their way. I wish the squirrels would! The squirrels and chipmunks have been ruthless these last few weeks, eating almost all of the bird food I put in the feeders. I have ordered a new, four-pronged feeder with a squirrel guard to hopefully solve this dilemma.


The boys played really well together today. I only had to referee a few small spats, but nothing serious.


These guys are very good builders. Aidan is especially particular about the design of his buildings, and he does NOT want them messed with either. Thankfully, Cal is FOUR now and is growing in his understanding of how sad it can be when someone wrecks something you've worked hard to create.
Here is Cal modeling his Batman cape for me. Who thinks of this cool stuff for kids anyway? He loves this cape!
They boys played trains together too. I'm so glad I have these nice toys for them to enjoy.
You can see by this picture of Aidan that he doesn't feel "himself" quite yet. He and Cal both slept on the way back to their house.

This picture (below) I just took real quick with my phone. They kids were enjoying a program on their TV, laughing together, and it was just so sweet to see them all laughing together. 
Next week begins our new summer routine -- no more school! SO ... I need to gear up for this once-a-week, sometimes overwhelming visitation! It helps a lot that they are growing older and need less care and have fewer meltdowns, etc. I am praying that we have a good summer of visits together.

No comments: