Tuesday, May 28, 2024

May 23 with KT

Thursday:  I am several days behind in this little blog post ... it was more than 5 days ago that I was with Kaity last Thursday afternoon and evening. This is how it went ...

Kaity, right off the bat, announced to me that she had broken up with Tyler. She said this with a smile on her face--kind of a relieved smile; but at the same time, a smile let me know she had something ELSE to tell me. And she did!

Kaity has always had many friends. She is very social and agreeable to people--so that's helpful in developing friendships. It's always good to have good friends, isn't it? Kaity has mentioned friends in her classroom all throughout the year: Sophie, another girl (but I forget her name), a few fellas (I've also forgotten their names), and GAGE. She has especially enjoyed GAGE and has told me he feels like a brother to her. They like to hang out and goof around together at school and in class. 

Well ... now it seems that Kaity views Gage more or less as a "boyfriend" and tells me that Gage wants her to be his "girlfriend." That's fine--don't misunderstand me. But it just seems like ... Kaity is a bit (just a little) obsessed with being in a relationship. Perhaps this is because she is almost 12. I am hoping this is a passing phase. It's not that I don't WANT Kaity to have friends -- it's just that the "coupling" of young girls and guys is so up-and-down and all-around, if you know what I mean. 


Back in the day (WAY back) when I was Kaity's age, we just had a lot of friends--boy and girl--yes, we had deep crushes--but nothing that was acknowledged or encouraged as "going out" together. We were KIDS, for goodness sake. It's difficult enough when kids reach actual dating age--like 16 or so--when they can drive to and from a dating activity together. But this 5th grade stuff is just ... beyond my understanding. PLUS, it makes for lots of hard feelings among everyone. It was just a few weeks ago that Kaity received a threatening text from a schoolmate who claimed she was going to beat her up at recess. WHY? All because Kaity was friends with this girl's "boyfriend." Thankfully, Kaity's dad handled that threat, with the school taking action as well. 

And another thing--Kaity asked if I would pick up Gage with her so that they could jump at Altitude together tonight. I asked where he lives and Kaity showed me on a map. He lives downtown! I have never met him! I don't know his family! I didn't have a chance to talk with Jesse about it! I said NO. I was kind about it, but I just can't drive downtown (to and from) so that Kaity and Gage can jump together. I have since checked with Jesse, and he agrees. 

I am asking the Lord to give me wisdom for our dear Kaity in these upcoming summer weeks and months. She is at such a vulnerable age. Please protect her, Lord, from every evil and show her how much You love her. 

No comments: