Sunday, September 13, 2026

September 11/12 with Gregory

Friday Night/Saturday morning:  My youngest grandchild was all packed and ready to go when I picked him up at his house, just after he got off his school bus. Actually, it was Dylan who packed extra clothes, a toothbrush, and water bottle and put them into a nice bag for us to take for Greg's overnight.

It's funny how things go when I am one-on-one with a grandchild. As a mom, one-on-one's were not common--because there were THREE sons and one mom. And if it weren't for overnights, I would never have the opportunity to have just ONE grandchild at a time with me. It's a very unique experience! I enjoy it very much because I feel more relaxed and focused when I am listening to only one child speaking at a time. Gregory, for all of his "rough and tumble" ways, is a very serious little soul. He has a LOT of determination, tons of ideas, and a great imagination. 

Here he is showing me the book he made while I was heating up the taco meat for our dinner. It was quite an intricate story--I admit I don't understand much of what was going on it it--lots of battles, etc. But Cal was super pleased with it!

Since it was such a beautiful evening, we took out a basket of paper airplanes and flew them from my driveway into the street. We had many contests, all of which young Mr. Cal claimed he won. (!!)
Cal actually has a very good "throwing arm"--he seems to have a natural athletic ability when it comes to throwing. I noticed this even when he was a tiny kid playing with his miniature basketball hoop!
Cal was flying planes from as high a place as he could find.
See how he follows through with his arm? (below)
He is super pleased with himself!
Gregory challenged me to a game of Chess after we ate our tacos. First of all, I will admit that I am NOT a skilled Chess player. I know the proper moves each piece can make, etc., but I just don't have a very good strategy with the game at all. Our game lasted almost an HOUR until finally, I checkmated this little guy. He captured my Queen within the first few minutes of the game, which took all of the wind completely out of my sails. I hate losing my Queen. 

Cal decided he wanted to watch "Pets I" for his movie choice. We got all of the stuffed pets out: Max, Duke, Snowball, Norm, Chloe, Gidget, etc. It is a fun movie, and we laughed a lot while we watched it. By about 9pm, it was time for bed and Cal didn't fuss about it very much at all. I think 20 minutes later, he was soundly sleeping.

I figured he would be up with the sun the next morning, and promptly at 7am, I heard him call my name outside my bedroom door. We got up and ate some cereal, and then got down to some serious game time. Cal challenged me to a foosball game (not pictured), and we ended up playing quite a few. He loves my tabletop foosball game. He has a habit of making new "rules" all the time -- like 2-point shots, and goals that DON'T COUNT if he wasn't "ready", etc. But mostly, he plays it fairly and enjoys it too.

THEN, we moved on to Battle Box. He cracks me up playing this game. Look at how serious he is!
We also played with a bunch of magnet toys for awhile ... but then it was time to get ready for ...
DEER TRACKS JUNCTION! (see next post).


No comments: