Thursday, September 10, 2026

September 5 Mackinac Island

Saturday:  We woke up to an absolutely PERFECT weather day! We checked out of our Days Inn, and they allowed us to continue to park there so that we could walk over to the boat dock without having to pay the $20 parking in that lot. This was very nice of them.

Our boat was named "Joliet" and the guide was a very upbeat and talented fellow who kept us laughing on the bumpy ride over to the island. We had taken the 9:30 boat because it went UNDER the Mackinac Bridge for a little added benefit. I did not take a single picture while we were on the boat! It was so windy, and we really didn't have a good seat for taking pictures. Plus, the emphatically stated that no one was allowed to STAND while the boat was moving. How could I possibly get a decent picture while sitting down? So, I didn't bother with it. I do have some photos of going under the bridge in prior years though.

We arrived at the island at a little after 10am. It was not too terribly crowded there in the morning. David really likes watching the fudge making process. This is Lorenzo, who was very friendly, and told us a lot about how the process works.
Fudge has gone up in price since I was a little kid, though. We used to purchase 4 slices for $9.99. Now, if you buy THREE slices it will cost you $35. No way!
We found a nice cafe' where we could eat outside for lunch. I totally forget what we ordered!
David purchased a small pocket kite at one of the cool toy stores, so we walked on down to the Park so that he could test fly it. Here is one of my favorite little lights: The Round Island Lighthouse.

The beautiful flowers are everywhere on the island ...

And such pretty houses!


This is the "Little Stone Church" ... I think Emma and I took a peek inside of it when we were here together back in 2018.
David had wanted to bike around the island, which would have been a lot of fun and would have offered me lots of photo opportunities. BUT ... we decided that the 3-wheeled bikes would be "safest" for me, and they were very expensive to rent. We did, however, pay to ride a horse-drawn carriage over parts of the island I had never seen ...
We finally came to Arch Rock, where we ended our carriage ride and walked DOWN the 200+ steps to the bottom so that I could get a few decent pictures of this cool place. When I was here with Emma, most every picture I took on the island was lost when my computer crashed later that year.


I'm pretty happy with these pictures ...

More flowers ...

Some private homes ...


More flowers ...

The marina ...
Our ride, the Marquette II, back to Mackinac City.




This out of place picture is of David flying his kite at the park on the island. At this particular moment, however, the wind did not cooperate ... but Sunday afternoon, we plan to head over to Grand Haven where he can try to fly it once again.


No comments: