Wednesday, November 2, 2022

November 2 Raking leaves

Wednesday:  We've been raking leaves here at Leisure Village for about two weeks now. Some years, the leaves fall slowly (which we find annoying) and it takes weeks for them to completely fall and thus end our raking responsibilities. THIS year, it seems that most of the leaves are already down! 

It was a beautiful day once again today, so I spent another two hours raking, blowing, and fussing with my yard and a few adjacent yards. Rumor was out that the "leaf vacuum" guy was coming today (this rumor has been going around for about 6 days now) ... and I wanted to be sure to get as many leaves as possible down to the roadside so that they could be sucked up (rather than bagged). 

I love being outside ... and I don't mind raking one single bit. I actually enjoy it. There is something so satisfying about cleaning up my little yard and making it as pretty as possible. It's also a good time to "connect" with neighbors and chat with them a little bit. The other day when I was out, my elderly neighbor (Dave) who is a Vietnam Vet was out getting his mail. He has lost so much weight--he hardly weighs 90 pounds. He says the docs are doing tests to find out why he keeps losing weight. He didn't seem overly concerned, but still. He did tell me a happy story though ...

Dave's cat, named Precious, the friend he had for 21 years, died right before Christmas last year. I remember him telling me this shortly afterwards. I was so sad for him. He seemed deeply grieved by her loss. Well ... even though he said he did not want another cat, his daughter (who has too many cats) gave up one of her male cats to him. She described "Milo" as a regressive and extremely shy cat; but Dave thinks it's because she has too many little kids at her house and Milo doesn't particularly enjoy little kids. Dave said the second day he had Milo, he climbed right up on his lap and now is his constant companion. I was so glad to hear this!



 Today while I was out raking, I got to visit with a couple who live a little down the street from me: Teri Jean and Roger. They know the gentleman that is moving in next door to me next week (Ted). He is an elderly, recent widow, who is a believer--he goes to their church! I would not have found out that information had I not been outside raking! See! Good things come from outdoor work.

It's been a good Wednesday. I made a sympathy card for a woman in my MNBS group. I ate two good meals while reading a truly interesting historical fiction novel ... and now I am catching up on laundry and other practical household stuff. I have so much to be thankful for.

PS.  The leaf vacuum people came through the park and ... sucked up most of the leaves that were out on the curbside, so I'm really glad I spent those hours raking this morning.

No comments: