Friday, November 25, 2022

November 23 Chris' birthday card

Wednesday:  Well ... it took me most of the day (!!) but I finally got Chris's card designed. I'm posting it here because the way I am printing out cards now makes it difficult to save it completely intact in my "Documents" section on my computer.



The front picture was taken over at Tyler's mom's house the day of Chris and Tyler's graduation open house. Tyler's mom has several acres next to her house--beautiful woods! The inside picture was taken a few months ago (during the summer) at my house. We were sitting at my table playing games (if I remember correctly).

I struggled with the inside message for his card ... and I hope it doesn't sound "preachy." I don't want it to! It's just that Chris is going to be 19 this coming Tuesday. He has been away at college this semester, so I haven't seen very much of him at all, let alone interact with him. But this has been the case now for the last few years. He's grown up now, doesn't come over very often, and even when he does he is with his siblings--I can't remember the last time I had a 1-on-1 conversation with Chris that lasted more than a minute--just greetings as we come and go--that kind of thing. So I cannot say I actually KNOW Chris ... like what he thinks about or what is most important to him. So as I prayed while designing his card, I asked the Lord to help me communicate my heart for him.

I've been spending significant time in the Psalms during the last few weeks. As I was beginning to read the VERY long 119th Psalm, these verses just jumped out at me for Chris. I love this entire 175 verse Psalm. In the past, I thought it was very repetitious and couldn't understand why 175 verses had to be written to communicate the same truth over and over again: God's Word is central and we MUST obey it! But as I read and thought about each section, it became SO beautiful ... the writer is so desperate to find out what is really important to God ... what makes life worth living ... how can we know what decisions to make ... how can we truly honor God, what is true happiness ... etc.

"How can a young person live a clean life?" Ah. Now THERE'S the question! How can anyone--old or young? We live in such a dark world ... so much sin and sickness and sadness, both inside of us and all around us! "By carefully reading the map of God's Word." I like the way this is worded in The Message, so that's the translation I used. The other verses talk about where real happiness is found ... anyway, I thought they were appropriate for anybody, and I do pray this for Chris and ... all of us.

Emma was going to spend some time with Chris today. He is "home" for the Thanksgiving holiday, but returning to college for his finals next week. Emma is going to deliver Chris's card and gift today. 

No comments: