Sunday, November 6, 2022

November 4 Old Mission Point Light

Friday:  SO ... finally! Our MNBS overnight up in Traverse City at Margaret's condo! I have been looking forward to this very much. We carpooled up north since gas prices are so high. Tamela drove the car I was in, along with her granddaughter (Lirien), and also Beth. Margaret drove the other car with Cindy, Eva, and Helen. It is a 2.5 hour drive to the condo--we arrived just after 3:00 in the afternoon. It was forecasted to rain all weekend, although not pouring rain--just light rain. Since it wasn't yet raining when we arrived and Margaret had some preparation work to do for dinner, she suggested that we take a car up the peninsula 17 miles and check out the lighthouse. So we did!

I believe it was in 2008 that Ruthanne and I had a sister's retreat and visited Old Mission Point Light. I'll have to check backward in this blog to see for sure. That was the only time I can remember ever being here before. It was summer at that time and the little tower was open. Ruthanne and I climbed to the top to see the view. There are only 27 steps!

But today, we didn't arrive until after the tower was closed for the day. But that was okay. We enjoyed ourselves anyway. I took a LOT of pictures. I'm going to have to show them to you in two separate posts.

Here is the first wave of pictures--most of which are taken approaching the lighthouse from the parking lot, or from the beach in front of it. This is the path from the parking lot to the lighthouse.

This is not in my top favorite lighthouses ... but there is something enchanting about it nonetheless. It has the look of a little country church, doesn't it?
What surprised us ladies most was the COLOR that was still so beautiful this first week of November. We felt certain that most of the leaves would be down and everything would be very brown ...







Yes, these pictures are super repetitive ... however, I took almost 200 so at least I've narrowed them down a bit.



Some of these will make very nice cards!


We spent about an hour walking the beach and pathways ... it was sprinkling, but only just a little bit.




When I was here the only other time, I did not spend as much time exploring. I'm glad we had as much time as we wanted to today. More pictures to follow ...

No comments: