Sunday, January 31, 2021

January 30 and 31 with Emma

Saturday/Sunday:  I can hardly believe this is the last weekend in January already. Now that I am officially an "old lady," I really do think time goes by more quickly than it did when I was young. I picked Emma up at about 7:30 from her place and we settled in here to just relax before we went to bed.

I wasn't sure what we would watch tonight--it's difficult to find anything decent to watch that we haven't already seen once or twice already. I casually asked if Emma was a "trekkie." Whoa. Her reaction was not at all what I expected. I thought I would get a simple "yes" or "no." First, she asked me what on earth was that! I simply answered that "trekkies" love all things to do with Star Trek. Her eyes got huge and she raised her eyebrows and said, "Don't ever call me that again!" I started laughing and told her I hadn't CALLED her anything! I just wanted to know if she WAS one for pity's sake! She gave me a definite, "No." So I re-framed my question and asked her if she had ever watched any Star Trek; and if so, did she like it. "Yes," she did and "yes" we could watch the first movie (2009) which would get me more up to speed since I hadn't watched Star Trek since it was on TV when I was young.


 The movie was well done and I enjoyed watching it with Emma. Leonard Nemoy was even in it playing Spock as an old guy. 

We worshiped at Calvary this morning. Pastor Tom taught from Revelation 11.15-18 about God's eternal kingdom. It was encouraging to be reminded that God's promises will come true.

We came home, ate a good lunch, and then Emma told me her beautiful winter coat had two tears in it! One tear on each pocket! Those tears could not be left unrepaired or they would get worse, so I told her I would mend them up for her. But do you think I could find a single NEEDLE in this house? I looked, I searched, I opened drawers, emptied containers, took out everything in my sewing bin ... NO needle!

I felt very strongly about getting this accomplished for Emma today and my heart was sad that I couldn't find a needle. I told Emma that I would just have to repair it NEXT weekend ... but then I just silently prayed that God would help me find a needle ... like now! I went back to my sewing bin and at the very bottom was a plastic bag with some scraps of material from an unfinished sewing project (from years ago) ... and at the very bottom of the bag was a spool of thread AND a needle! YAY! Thank you, God! I had black thread, no problem. So I was able to repair both tears this afternoon. The pockets are very thick material and it was difficult to get the needle to go through all of it, but I used a pair of pliers to help me! I poked myself a few times, but ... it was worth it. It made my heart really happy to fix these tears for Emma. I love her so much.

Emma also mentioned needing practice with parallel parking. She has her driver's test this Tuesday at noon and she is pretty nervous about the parking part of it--nothing else is bothering her except that. So we went to the parking lot at my community building and did some parking, but Emma felt it was too small of a lot for her to really practice--so then we drove over to Calvary's parking lot and spent about 30 minutes parallel parking--even though we weren't parking between two cars. We kind of parked as closely as we could to one of the out-buildings, and then also by the garbage bins ... Emma keeps telling herself that she CANNOT parallel park and I kept saying that she COULD and that she WAS and ... we had fun laughing. I know she hasn't had much practice at this--perhaps for some reason, she will not have to parallel park to pass her driver's test--no matter what, I am going to ask the Lord to help Emma pass and be able to get her license. She has waited patiently for it for quite awhile. I suggested that she talk to God about it too--afterall, He wants us to be near Him and tell Him about all the stuff that worries us. 

Praying ... and thankful that God will do what is best.


No comments: