Friday, January 8, 2021

January 8 Comfort for my heart

Friday:  SO ... I truly try to stay away from political statements of any kind whatsoever, but this last year has been so disturbing on so many levels. I don't really know who or what to believe is actually going on in our country anymore. I am a conservative, though--because I do believe in following the U.S. Constitution--and I generally cannot follow a party that has no regard for unborn babies. I do not accept that "pro-life" people are only interested in people BEFORE they are born and then completely neglect them afterwards. Certainly there are folk who do that very thing--but I don't believe it is the way true believers in Christ behave. 

Having said that as a little background, the 2020 election happened. I completely voted my conscience and had no regret doing so. But it turned out that the election was quite confusing; and again, it was really difficult to know WHO to believe about what happened. I know that it has been disheartening to our country, though, and the way people now distrust the government even more than they did before. Perhaps people are just disgusted with being lied to on every side and people are sick of the deception.

No matter what has happened, there has to be a way to navigate as a citizen of this beautiful country in a way that pleases God. I was studying ahead in our Daniel Bible study (winter semester) and God led me to a really comforting passage this morning:

Surely, he will never be shaken; a righteous man will be remembered forever. He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast--trusting in the LORD. His heart is secure, he will have no fear; in the end he will look in triumph on his foes.  PSALM 112.6-9

NO fear of bad news.

Hmmm. 

I HAVE been afraid! I have dreaded these last few months. It seems that more and more "bad" news surfaced about election fraud, people talking about the end of democracy, the fall of our dear country ... never-ending DOOM.

But the writer of Psalm 112 says the person whose heart is steadfast ...

steadfast = firmly fixed in place; not subject to change; resolute, loyal, staunch

But loyal to what or whom?

TRUSTING in the LORD!

Trust = Assured reliance on the character, strength, or truth of a person! It is CONFIDENT HOPE!

My heart rejoiced when I read these verses today. My hope doesn't rest in this country or any of its leaders or elected officials. My confidence is in the character, strength, and truth of my Lord and my God. I will have no fear of the future. 

God is my refuge and my strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.  PSALM 46-1-3 

 

 

No comments: