Saturday, April 27, 2024

April 24 Dylan's Gifts

Wednesday:  I drove over to Holy Trinity with the kiddos to meet Dylan and Kelly this evening. It is their Orthodox Lenten season, so they have many extra gatherings and opportunities for worship and service at this time. They invited me to eat with them tonight and listen to Dylan speak about: "Teaching the Faith: Traditional catechism with a Socratic twist."  I haven't availed myself of many opportunities to hear Dylan teach--mostly because he teaches at Acton (where he works), and the events just haven't worked out for me to attend. But there was absolutely NO reason for me not to enjoy hearing Dylan tonight. I snapped a few pictures with my phone ...


I took these first few pictures before the actual meal and "talk". The littles were running around the foyer being as cute as they can be.

This is Father Joshua introducing the topic Dylan would be teaching. There was no need to introduce Dylan himself since he is well-known and very well-loved at the church.
And here he is TEACHING. God has gifted Dylan with the ability to teach (like his dad before him), and he is happy and excellent in his element. Dylan is a forever learner ... me too ... I love to study (so did Jim) and grasp meanings of words, especially instruction that will lead me closer to understanding and obeying the Lord.
I had to look up the word "Socratic" because it was a word I have never used. I am vaguely familiar with Socrates, but since I am about as far from a philosopher as is humanly possible, I have not read any of his writings. Dylan explained, however, the teaching method of the value of QUESTIONS. Currently, Dylan teaches the 5th and 6th grade Sunday school at his church. He has found that the kids have really enjoyed the class time and discussion together.

Dylan began his talk with the history of catechisms and then showed everyone how he has been teaching the "Our Father", the Lord's Prayer, to his class. Each word of the text is examined and questions are asked. For example: "Our Father" ... why OUR Father and not MY Father? Dylan's teaching time tonight was limited, so he only got as far as "Thy kingdom come" but was able to get his point across about asking questions regarding word meanings and application. He got the audience to interact and it was fun to watch and listen to them. 

I love this way of teaching too! I don't use this BLOG for much of anything except journaling family stuff; but I do have a few entries where I shared what I was learning from Scripture using this very method (see February 13, 2008--"The Ultimate Valentine"; as well as April 30, 2017 on Ephesians 4.2; and then January 28, 2021 on Psalm 91.1). It's a great way to slow down and really READ the words with the intention of understanding them and applying them.

It was wonderful to be where I could listen to and enjoy Dylan in his element. I often wish that my boys could have seen their dad in the prime of his teaching years--which were few, but his teaching was so dynamic, so heartfelt, so life-changing. Jim would be so blessed to know God has gifted Dylan in this same way. 

I am happy for you, Dylan. I am glad you are working in a field where you can continue to learn and grow and share with others this gift God has given you. Proud of you, dear son.

No comments: