Sunday, April 28, 2024

May 6 Florida, Day EIGHT

Monday: This is a day I have been waiting for over TWO years now. You see, the last time I was visiting David, I ended up with COVID which limited our traveling around and visiting people. I had to cancel going over to meet my dear roommate, Robbie, at that time--so it had been THREE years since we had been face to face.

The last time I saw Robbie (2021), we met halfway between her house and David's, at her daughter Aimee's house. It's about a 25 minute drive from David's, and since he had to put in a full day Monday (from 8-5:00), he drove me over once again to Aimee's to spend the day with Robbie. The last time I was here, Aimee and her family were away on vacation; so I didn't get to meet any of them at all. But today was different!

Look how beautiful Robbie is! She hasn't changed in the 53 years I have known her, and I love her so much. We met in the fall of 1971, both freshmen at what was then known as Grand Rapids Baptist College. I walked into our room at Miller Hall and was greeted by her smiling face. It was like we had known each other all of our lives. Such a wonderful feeling! There is something so comforting about just being in the same room with her. She is genuine and kind. She is hysterically FUNNY. We howl with laughter. It's wonderful.
I was showing Kaity these pictures Saturday evening, and I asked her to guess the age of the girl in yellow on the far right of the stairway. Kaity guessed Aimee to be TWENTY-NINE. That would be just about my guess too! But the darling girl (Robbie's granddaughter) just to the left of Aimee is Claire (age 20), and the beautiful girl sitting just to the left of Robbie is Alexa (another granddaughter, age 22). Aimee is their MOTHER and is turning 50 very soon. It was such a blast to spend time with these lovely ladies. Robbie and I reminisced about our college years (Alexa and Claire are in college presently), and we just laughed and laughed.

The little dog in the picture is COSMO, who was rather attacked by the other family dog (GANGLY) earlier in the day, so poor Cosmo looks a bit down in the dumps. 
Aimee took us all out to eat at "Graze 1910", one of their favorite places to lunch. I had a "Grazer" burger, which was delicious. We sat around the table for a long time just chatting, laughing, and enjoying the food.

The afternoon really went by quickly. All of us girls played a few games of ... BANANAGRAMS! Can you believe it? They didn't have the giant game, just the original; but we enjoyed playing anyway. These girls are VERY smart!

David returned for me at about 5:40pm and came inside to meet everyone. The day had gone by SO quickly. I was completely refreshed from just being with my Robbie again. There is something about someone who loves you no matter what -- Robbie loves me like that, and I can't begin to describe how wonderful that is.

Doreen and Pete had David, Carol, and myself over for dinner at 7:00. They cooked up the most yummy COW and RIBS on the grill. I love to eat red meat. We had a very nice visit with them. They leave for Michigan the same day I am leaving--Thursday.

No comments: