Sunday, April 28, 2024

May 5 Florida, Day SEVEN

Sunday:  It was just David and I who went to their Evangelical Free church this morning. Carol, and her sister Doreen, traveled across the state to attend St. Andrews Presbyterian Church (formerly pastored by RC Sproul, now with the Lord). Doreen has wanted to visit this church for a very long time; and since she now lives just down the street from David and Carol from January through April every year, and this was the last Sunday before she headed back to Michigan, they decided that today was the day.

I grabbed a picture of the inside of St. Andrews off the web -- isn't this gorgeous architecture? I don't know very much about RC Sproul, other than he is a very well known and respected Bible teacher and scholar. I do know ONE quote by him which I truly love: "Evangelism is not good people telling bad people to be good. It is FORGIVEN people telling unforgiven people about forgiveness in Christ."  I love how thinking this way levels the field, don't you? I am NOT a good person! I am a FORGIVEN person, only made possible because God sent His Son to die for my sins. I struggle so much with "evangelism". It just feels so judgmental and sometimes harsh. Don't worry--I understand the gravity of the situation all of us humans are in; and I completely accept God's perfect judgment on all of us. But I am so comforted to know that "He is just AND the justifier" of all who trust in Him. All anyone needs to do is to surrender to our very JUST and FORGIVING God all of our sin and failure, and bow our knee to Him. He makes us into NEW people, and He is always faithful to us.

But back to our Sunday ...

It was nice to meet the friends and church family of David and Carol. I had visited their church one time two years ago when I was here--but they had only started to attend themselves and didn't really know anyone. The church is small and very family and relationship oriented. David and Carol have been very happy serving there.

After the service, David and I ate at Frenchy's (Clearwater) for lunch. We ordered clams (yum) and shrimp (YUM) and split both orders, along with those wonderful skinny onion rings (haystack onions?). We were totally full when we were finished eating. We did walk Clearwater Beach for a little bit afterwards. 

Andrew and Alison came over Sunday evening for dinner. Andrew made us some air-fried chicken along with a bunch of other yummy stuff, and then we played a few games of "Blank Slate." It's always so good to see these two kiddos. I so wish I could know them better--they are a lot of fun to be with.


I hardly took any pictures of Andrew and Alison--the one I did take did not turn out at all! So ... here is one of my favorite pictures of the two of them, taken years ago at a wedding they both stood up for.
Alison has been through a lot of recent losses this year--the death of her dear grandma, and some health issues too. She wasn't quite as carefree as she usually has been when I've seen her, but I can understand why. It sure was nice to see them again. Andrew is very good at loving people, especially Alison. I love to be around people who really love each other, don't you?

No comments: