Sunday, May 7, 2023

May 4 with Kaity

Thursday evening:  I picked Kaity up late this afternoon for a few hours hanging out at my house. I didn't take any pictures of Kaity today, which I regret, because she was in rare and outgoing frame of mind. There are times when I spend time with Kaity where I don't get much interaction. I'm just not much competition for instant entertainment via Youtube or games she has on her phone.

But today was different! Praise Jesus! Kaity suggested we play Fousball, so I hauled our table-top game out from under my bed and we played a rousing tournament. It was CLOSE ... but Kaity won ... by a single point! I so wish I had snapped a few pictures of her laughing after she scored ... or cracking up because I am screaming at my defunct players (!!) ...

While we were eating our meal, Kaity began singing a song she is learning in Music Class. I can't remember the tune, but it was a very cool rhyming rendition of all 50 states of America. I was so pleased! Kaity enjoyed herself hugely as she sang to me. She was able to bring the song up via Youtube (surprise, surprise) and she sang along with it. What a cool way to teach kids the 50 states!
So while she was showing off her state knowledge to me, I retrieved my little hand-held "Can You Guess" game about States and Capitals. She got right into it! Shock me. This is my Kaity, who isn't usually thrilled about academics. She did very decently about guessing the correct states. We didn't do the capitals, but perhaps in the future we will do that.

Anyway ... I surely was encouraged by our few hours together. I was happy to actually speak to Kaity and have her give me eye contact and demonstrate interest in something other than technology. I don't mean to sound so "down" on technology ... but what ever happened to kids playing outside and making up games of their own? Children today face such challenges to their personal wellbeing and sanity ... please, Lord, help me to be an encouragement to the grandchildren ... teach them there is so much more to the life You want us to live!

No comments: