Wednesday, January 5, 2022

January 5 Lots and lots of snow

Wednesday:  The National Weather service issued a wind and snow warning yesterday that they said would hit us at about 4:30 this morning. When I rolled out of bed this morning (at around 8 am) we didn't have a speck more snow than yesterday. I was hoping perhaps the system had missed us, so I tuned into the local weather to find out that it was a bit delayed and would begin at about 10am. They were practically on the button with the updated timing. We received about 6" of snow between 10am and 2pm with lots and lots of wind and white-out conditions. 

It had only begun to settle down a tiny bit by the time Emma left for work at 3:20. She called me at 3:40 to tell me she had been in an accident--she was okay--but her car was totaled. Her nice 1999 Chevy Prism with lower mileage than my 2016 Kia, a prior one-owner vehicle purchased about 18 months ago by Emma for two grand. Both air bags deployed and the front end of her car is rather obliterated.

Emma was on W. River just a few miles up the road from where we live. She said her vision was already very low because of the blowing snow, so she was traveling at about 35 mph. A rather large SUV passed her on the left and the snow from that vehicle blew off as he blew past her, completely obliterating her vision. The next thing she saw was someone pulling out right in front of her. She was already applying her brakes because of the white-out she was experiencing, but she could not stop in time and hit the pick-up truck. She wasn't issued a ticket. The police called a wrecker because her car was blocking traffic, and I picked her up before 4:00. Very rough driving out there. I could barely see 10 feet ahead of me. I was glad to get Emma in my car and arrive safely back here.

Emma is handling this well so far. She was pretty shook up, but thankful that she only had a sore few fingers on her right hand--which she thinks is from gripping the steering wheel so tight on impact. We put out the word to Jesse and his auto-saavy friends who are on the lookout for a replacement vehicle. Until then, I will be her ride to and from work.

Other than that sad occurrence, today was a very quiet and peaceful day--absolutely gorgeous everywhere I looked. I played beautiful music all day long, baked another batch of blueberry muffins, talked to a few friends on the phone, designed a birthday card for a dear friend, and now I am ready for bed.

Here is a picture I quickly snapped from my front door:



No comments: