Wednesday, June 1, 2022

May 30 Memorial Day Parade

Monday: I drove downtown to the Memorial Day parade today--mostly because Jesse was coordinating the movement of individual units and others IN the parade--I am not much of a parade-goer generally, but I wanted to be there for Jesse. I am always thankful on this day NOT to be a "Gold Star Mother" ... so glad Jesse was returned to us safe and sound--and actually in one piece. There are so many others who were not so blessed.

I'm going to post some of the pictures I took--my computer is "acting up" and it took FOREVER to upload these from my camera to my computer ... I won't add too many comments because I'm not exactly sure of details. I'll ask Jesse to give me some information about WHO these folk are and then add comments later.


The parade participants met under the 196 bridge and Division. I parked on Ionia, about a half mile from there, and walked on down. There were police baricades preventing drivers from getting any closer--traffic had to be adjusted in order for the parade to be possible on this route.
I like this vehicle (below) ... The Kent County Veterans Honor Guard.

Here is a closer look at the Grand Rapids float.
And this is the first shot of JESSE on the parade route, conversing with participants along the way.

All of the parade folk finally arrived and started getting set up and in the correct places ...





Jesse was right there helping all of these people line up so that the parade could start on time.




Jesse was also "live-streaming" the parade, so he was quite occupied with a bunch of stuff all at the same time.
I like these pictures of Jesse ... I love him so much.
The parade began and progressed down Division to Fulton Street, turned on Fulton and went to Veteran's Memorial Park for the ceremony.




The Park got a bit of a renovation several years ago and is a job really well done. Makes a person proud just to have known someone who has served our country so selflessly. 



This is where the ceremony and speeches took place ...

This is Jesse with the gentleman who evidently is in charge of all of the veteran affairs in W. Michigan--I cannot remember his name. He and Jesse are on quite friendly terms.




I left the ceremony before it was over. I had an appointment to keep with a dear friend. As I was walking back to where I parked, I approached this car parked in the oddest of places! I thought to myself: "Who on earth would park their car HERE!?" And then ... I realized it was JESSE'S CAR! Goodness! I had to laugh!

I love you, Jesse. I sure am glad you are no longer in active service. I share in your grief for friends you lost in Iraq and Afghanistan and pray your heart will be comforted by "the God of ALL comfort."

No comments: