Sunday, June 2, 2024

June 1 Laughing with KT

Saturday:  I picked Kaity up from Diana today at 3:00. We filled up my car with gas and then I told Kaity I had a super quick errand to run over at Menard's ... it would only take 5 minutes! Kaity was fine with this--she is used to going to Menard's with Jesse and knows the store layout very well. Anyway, we parked the car near the Garden Center, I grabbed my keys and attached them to my belt loop (via the karabiner) and we went inside to grab TWO more cement edgers for my "garden." It didn't take us long at all! We only went down TWO aisles and then over to the cashier to pay. I thought it went very smoothly until we got back to my car and ... where were my keys?!!! They were NOT attached to my belt loop as I had thought. Oh no! We looked in the window of my car and the keys were NOT in the ignition (whew!), so I concluded that somehow I dropped them inside of Menard's.

Kaity and I went back inside and retraced our steps. However, this was easy for Kaity but NOT for me. My left hip is more painful by the day! Walking is ... difficult. I leaned on the shopping cart for support and we did the best we could do to try to find the missing keys. We went back to the cashier, and she helped us look too! The cashier called Security and they walked up and down the designated aisles with us, took our information, and said they would call if any keys were found.

Yikes. You would think that somewhere I would have ANOTHER key to the car put away for safe keeping. But ... you think wrong (I do plan to rectify that in the next day or two). Oh ... and did I mention that it was raining? Kaity and I kept walking back to the car with the wishful thought that we would magically find the keys in a crack of the pavement or some such thing.

We finally gave up! We called Jesse, who lives about a mile from Menard's. He is my hero actually. He always answers my call when I dial him up. And then he comes to the rescue! Yay!

We did the whole search thing once again with Jesse and talked to Menard's people ... nothing was found. Finally Jesse asked if I had road service. Well ... yes, actually. We managed to find the number to State Farm's emergency number and ... voila! Their locksmith dude was driving into the parking lot only an HOUR after we registered our "lockout" request. Meanwhile, the three of us were snug and warm in Jesse's car that was parked right in front of mine. The road service guy finally came and managed to unlock the door to my car ... but STILL NO KEYS!

I must admit that I felt a bit despairing at that point. The road guy drove away and I didn't know what to do next. But thankfully, Jesse was not about to give up that quickly. He bent his 6'6" frame over and under the seats of my car ... and low and behold--the keys were UNDER the driver's seat. Evidently when I THOUGHT I had clipped my keyring to my belt loop, I missed ... and since I was talking to Kaity at the same time and we were in the process of exiting my car, I never noticed that they slipped from my hand, down in-between the seat and the midsection of the front seat and disappeared! I was SO super thankful to once again have them in my hand!

And what time was it by now? 5:30!!! Kaity did so well during this whole process. She never once complained! She was very helpful to me inside Menard's, she was kind to the workers, she was loving towards her dad ... she was wonderful. Plus, she told me I was not "stupid", but that everyone messes up now and then. True. SO true.

And Jesse? He walked me through placing a service call to the Road Service people (which was quite a process, and I never could have done it without him--!!!!), never once belittled me for being a "dummie" or made me feel terrible that I had interrupted his afternoon. He was gracious and kind ... and I was so thankful he was there with me.

And you, Lord? Well ... You were wonderful too! I was silently praying to You throughout this ordeal--and You saw my need, heard my prayers, and answered so kindly. Thank You so much.

Kaity and I finally arrived at my house nearly at 6pm. We ate our meal together, played a few hands of UNO, and then for some reason--which I completely forget--Kaity mentioned the 3 Stooges and we decided to watch a clip or two of them. The two of us LAUGHED our heads off. You know the kind of laughing where no sound comes out of your mouth but you are screaming ... and your stomach even hurts? That kind!


What a privilege it is to be a grandma. I love this Kaity-Girl so much. Thank you, Lord, for letting me be her grandma.

No comments: