Sunday, June 30, 2024

June 28 The Birds

Friday:  My small side yard has become a flurry of activity in these past weeks--well, ever since I got my new bird feeding station that is. This first picture is shown just to demonstrate the reason I needed a different way to feed my birds--to somehow prevent the SQUIRRELS from eating all of the seed.

This bird feeder (below) is my next door neighbor's. His name is TED and he turned 90 years old two weeks ago now. He doesn't look or act as if he is 90--perhaps 80--he gets around pretty well using one of those three-pronged canes; he still drives his own car, goes to church twice on Sunday, and really enjoys feeding our birds. Ted told me that the bird feeder (pictured below) was squirrel-proofed. Hmm. I watched Mr. Squirrel walk that tremendously thin pole/arch and then slide himself down onto the feeder without falling even once, and then enjoy himself hugely eating all the sunflower seeds he desired.

My new bird feeder station has a little flat bowl where I put a small piece of fruit--I read somewhere that fruit will encourage hummingbirds and butterflies to come. However, I haven't seen a single one of those critters yet! But I have seen the birds drink the water and stick their beaks into the fruit.
Weirdly, I found this dove in my window feeder the other day, with its mate waiting for a turn to eat there too. Doves are usually bottom feeders, and there are always 2-3 walking around on the grass beneath these feeders eating what has fallen down. 


The other day I had a beautiful Bluejay and a Cardinal couple visit for quite awhile. The BIG black birds are a bit annoying--they come in flocks and clean me out of seeds pretty quickly. BUT ... just as regular as the black birds are the little finches and chickadees, which I really delight watching. 

All and all, I am very pleased with my bird feeders. I've gotten a good variety of seeds and treats for them to enjoy, and my side yard is becoming a real bird hangout. I am so pleased.

No comments: