Tuesday, September 3, 2024

August 31 Point Betsie

Saturday (continued):  It wasn't a long drive to Point Betsie, and we needed a bit of a break from all the walking we did at the dunes, so it worked out well. We did drive through Frankfort, but I forget if that was before or after Point Betsie.

When Ruthanne and I were here years ago (maybe 2004? or was it 2008?), this outbuilding was there but there wasn't a gift shop (!!); plus, the land surrounding the lighthouse was not partitioned off like it is today--there was much more freedom to walk the beach on either side and snap pictures. However, I managed to take as many as possible from where I was allowed (trust me on this).


My brother was rather disappointed by the stature of this little light--I understand, I honestly do! The lighthouses we visit in Florida are SO tall--he and I have climbed 200+ stairs to get to the top of them. Point Betsie, however, only has 34 stairs to climb to reach the top. When I was here before, the lighthouse wasn't open and I never saw inside or from the top. So this was a real treat for me (no matter that it is so short).


It was a very windy afternoon and the waves were beautiful to look at ... I love the sound of the surf coming in!













David and I paid our $5 fee and got to tour the inside of Point Betsie and climb her 34 stairs to the top. Carol waited below with Ruthanne and Terry.
Here is the front room ... the stairs to the tower come right off from this room ... so we climbed the tower next.


This was our view from the top. There wasn't a lot of room to maneuver up there, so I didn't take many pictures. If I pointed south, there was a packed beach of "strangers" lounging and swimming. But north, I was able to get this picture at least, and I like it very much.


Another view of the front room ...

The dining room ...
The original Fresno light!
After our lighthouse tour, we did a little bit of driving around but it was nearing dinner time so we found a nice spot to eat and then we drove the very long 2.5 hours all the way back home and made it right around 9:30pm.


No comments: