Sunday, September 15, 2024

September 14 Olivet vs Wooster

Saturday:  Kaity and I drove over to Olivet University to see Christopher (#31) and his team play the Woosters (Ohio). I have never driven the trip to Olivet before--I have ridden with Jesse 2x, but have never navigated the roads on my own. Thankfully, Kaity entered the address to Olivet and her phone instructed us all the way there, without missing a single turn--and there were LOTS of turns!

It was a surprisingly WARM and sunny afternoon with highs in the mid-80's. Since I have had this unresolved itching all over my body, my doctor has warned me against being too much in the sun. So, after about 15 minutes in the bleachers, I found a shady spot (under a tree) within sight of the field and hearing of the announcers and the plays, etc. It was a relief to sit under that tree! It wasn't too long before Kaity joined me there. She doesn't like being out in the heat for long periods of time, unless she is swimming. Kaity was super tired today. She slept 75% of the drive from Grand Rapids. It's a good thing her phone was "talking" to me, or I'd never have made it there.

It was a good game! Olivet won Wooster 27 to 23. YES! Here are a few pictures I snapped while there; the first three are from the stands and then the rest are from where I retreated under a tree in the shade.

Chris plays defensive lineman (I think I am correct about this--Chris told me several times what his position is this year when he came over to say good-bye before he left for college--but I'm not good at remembering football details), second string--but a strong second string. He is very serious about the game, his scholarship to play, his grades, and his life in general. I am super proud of him.


This was my view of the field from the shady area under the tree in the nice, soft grass.
After the game, we all got to greet Chris to congratulate him on Olivet's win.

When Chris was a very little boy (say ... 3 years old), I would often say he was my little "Spankie" (from the Little Rascals). But as he has become a young man, he has grown very handsome--don't you think?
This is ELLA. Chris and Ella have been together now for FOUR years, which is quite remarkable seeing that Ella works here in the Grand Rapids area, and Chris is an hour-and-a-half away at Olivet. 
Doesn't Ella have a beautiful smile? I am quite thankful for Ella. I'd like to know her better; but from what I do know, she is hard-working, happy, seeks to know the Lord, and is supportive of Chris. I like the two of them together and pray that the Lord will bless them, keep them walking in obedience to Him, and bless their lives.


I like these of Kaity and Chris too. Kaity really admires her brothers. I'm so glad she does! 

I handed off my camera to Kaity and asked her to snap a few of Chris and me ...

Kaity and I did not stay long after the game--she was rather anxious to leave. She had actually asked, rather imploringly, if we could leave after the first quarter! I told Miss Kaitlynn that in no circumstances whatsoever was I leaving until the game was over and I had a chance to see and hug Christopher. I think Kaity didn't quite believe me and continued her request; but she finally gave up when she saw I was not budging. I think she was glad that we stayed. I did a LOT of yelling during the game, which she found annoying; but part of the reason she grows "bored" with football is because she doesn't understand the game. I'm no football expert, but it is one sport that I DO know the rules and I find interesting and exciting to watch.

Well ... we drove home; once again, with Kaity sleeping the whole way. That's okay. I listened to beautiful music about the awesome love of Jesus and was reminded over and over again of just how great He is.

No comments: