Tuesday, September 3, 2024

August 30 Charlevoix

Friday:  My brother David arrived yesterday (Thursday) from his beautiful state of Florida. Terry, Ruthanne and I picked him up from the airport at 3:30. We ate an early dinner at "Rose's" on Reed's Lake before coming home here and playing "Worst Case Scenario" together and enjoying some brownies and ice cream for dessert.

Friday morning, Carol met us in the parking lot of Calvary Church. She had been with her sister, Doreen (in the Detroit area) for the prior week; so Doreen drove her to Grand Rapids. Doreen has a mutual friend here in Grand Rapids (my friend Gladys from MNBS small group a few years ago!), so she was able to spend time with her after we left.

We immediately packed Carol's stuff into our car and took off ... to the north!! Since it was forecasted to be a cloudy/dreary/rainy day much of the day, we decided to switch our travel plans around a little bit and do them in somewhat of a reverse order. So we headed up to Charlevoix (driving through Cadillac and upwards) and arrived there just before 1:00. We were all hungry for lunch by then, so we stopped and ate. I cannot, for the life of me, remember WHERE or WHAT we ate. Afterwards, we spent some time shopping and walking around Charlevoix for a few hours. 

I diverted off the shopping route to take a little side trip to the lakefront where I could snap a "few" pictures of the little lighthouse there. I've only had that opportunity once before, many years ago, and I'm not thrilled with those pictures (naturally). 

Sidewalk Chess!!!

It was rather a nice coincidence that as I headed to the lakeshore, the drawbridge was going up to allow the "Emerald Isle" (the boat that takes people over to Beaver Island) to go under ...


Looking west to the lakeshore ...

And here she is! "The Emerald Isle"!! I would someday like to take this boat over to Beaver Island. It's on my bucket list, but it's a little costly ... so I'm not sure I will ever do it.


I love channels, don't you? This channel runs inland to Lake Charlevoix, a beautiful lake for boating and camping around, etc.
This picture (below) took a little extra effort to get. This is quite a large anchor and on ground level, reaching my camera as high as possible, I couldn't get the entire lighthouse in my picture frame, centered between the blades. What was I to do?
Well, there was this handy reddish barrel looking thing (I have no idea what this is) just a few steps away. Perhaps I could climb up on it and THEN snap a nice picture . . .
I climbed to the very left end of this contraption where I was able to capture the picture two frames above. I was very pleased and actually didn't fall even once, nor was I even close to bringing harm to myself. Luckily--David, Carol, Terry and Ruthanne were nowhere around me while I was pulling this off. They would NOT have been pleased, with perhaps David and Terry being exceptions to that.
I know that this little light is not terribly impressive as a lighthouse; but there is still something sweet about it. It deserves photographing at least!!!!




I totally resent ANY and ALL strangers in pictures I use for card making. Sometimes I can "bleep" them out; but not always ... because a lot of times, it distorts the nearby objects that are NOT being bleeped out.
I was looking around this area, trying to see if I could get a picture from a higher elevation ...
Wouldn't you know? There was a nearby building with 20+ stairs that were not marked "No trespassing!" Yay! I climbed to the very tippy-top where I took these two pictures. I bleeped out some of the people, but it was impossible to erase all of them without ruining the picture altogether.

Where there is an opportunity, one must take it! I am pretty happy with these pictures; so, mission accomplished!

No comments: