Monday, November 29, 2021

November 27 A small party for Chris

Saturday: Chris's 18th birthday is this coming Monday. We invited Chris, his girlfriend Ella, Matthew, and Kaity over for a small party to celebrate. Arrival time was 3pm. Emma paid for pizza for us all (thank you, Emma!) and we played games, ate pizza, and enjoyed birthday cake for a few hours together. 

I was very happy to get to know Ella a bit today. I learned that she has lived all of her 16 years in Sparta, the first 10 or so out in the country in a home that her dad had built. When one of the bad economic downturns occurred, her dad lost his job and consequently the family lost their home. Ella said this was a really hard time for them. They rented a house in Sparta for awhile afterward but now they are in another home that they own. She and Chris have been "dating" for a solid year or more.
I asked Chris what his favorite cake was and he texted back that he loved Ice Cream Oreo Cake. Emma and I picked one up yesterday as we were out and about. I had never tasted this before and agree that it is really yummy.


It's good to have a few more recent pictures of Chris. I hardly see him any more. He is grown up! He and Matt don't often come over ... so this was a real special time for me as their grandma.

I love your smile, Chris--always have!

I coaxed the kids into a game of Pachesis. KT and I did not play because only FOUR can play at once. Kaity and I played UNO instead.

Playing Pachessi with FOUR is quite a WAR. These four battled it out for nearly an hour (!!!) until Ella was victorious! Congratulations, Ella!

Chris and Matt played for #2 winner. Emma gladly stepped out of the game at this point.
Chris opened his gifts. He had requested a particular NIKE hoodie from me, which I was able to find at Kohls yesterday. 
Here he is reading his card. I should post a better picture of the card ... I will do that below.


Then he opened Emma's card and gift ...




And then we just relaxed for a bit until everyone decided it was time to go. Everyone did OK together. It was good for Emma to be with her brothers, who she hardly sees anymore--this is very sad for her. They are a "tricky threesome" though with so much history and quite a bit of dysfunction. STILL ... I am thankful for this time with all of them here together.

This is the inside of Chris's birthday card. This quote is from Tony Gungy, a former NFL coach of Superbowl champions, the Indiana Colts. Gungy is the first black Superbowl (coach) winner--but more importantly, he is a faithful Christian. 

That's Chris wearing the #15 jersey ... this was the last game of his senior year, the playoff between Comstock Park and W. Catholic.


This is the front and back of Chris's card ...




 

No comments: