Friday, September 2, 2022

September 1 A tiny potty

Thursday:  Okay ... so this post could probably be categorized as a TMI post, and I get that. So, in order NOT to gross anyone out in future years while accidently reading through this little history of mine, let me just say that I will NOT give any yucky details, nor will I ever photograph any of my grand kiddos sitting here. 

But, just for the record:

While I was grocery shopping today at Meijer's, I hunted for a tiny potty. I have resisted purchasing one because I have TWO potty rings that fit pretty securely on my adult toilets. I put a nice kid-friendly stool beneath for their feet to rest on, and most of the grands have used it successfully.

I've never been a fan of these separate tiny potties. It just seems that they could be unsanitary! How does a person clean up after one of these is used for serious business?! I ask you!

So, I vowed (years ago) that I would NOT purchase one! I didn't have one for my boys to potty train and they did just fine! 

BUT ... 

This last week when Erin was here, she had a persistent and uncomfortable tummy ache. She was obviously bothered by it. We spent quite awhile in the bathroom with her on the potty ring, reading books and playing with toys (while Cal tore the house apart), but Erin looked at me square in the face with tears in her beautiful blue eyes and asked me to take her home to her own tiny potty. I wish I could show you her dear little face as she was asking me. My heart! I managed to talk her out of going back home--mostly because I wasn't sure anyone would be there to unlock the door for us; and her aching tummy improved to where she even still wanted to go jumping at Altitude!

I could NOT get her little face out of my brain, though. Every time I closed my eyes, there she was--Erin's little face so sad ... all because I was TOO selfish to spend $14.99 on a tiny potty. Shame on me. While I was shopping at Meijer, there were very fancy tiny potties that cost upwards of $35, one with Minnie Mouse, one with princesses, one that looked exactly like an adult toilet with a fake flusher that made sounds, etc. (I won't even tell you how close I came to choosing that one) ... but I factored in that Cal is getting close to potty training age and I wanted the little potty to be suitable for him as well; PLUS, I am just too cheap to spend $35! This is the truth!

Anyway, my heart has been somewhat comforted by this purchase. I will figure out a way to disinfect it and keep it spankin' clean one way or the other. Hopefully Erin will not remember me as the grandma who was too mean to purchase a potty for her. I love her so.

No comments: