Friday, September 16, 2022

September 15 They ARE crying out!

Thursday morning:  I had just driven into my driveway with a trunk full of groceries from Meijer when I noticed a young woman in front of my house. As I stepped out of my car and opened the back latch to retrieve a few bags of groceries, she spoke: "Did you paint these rocks?"

"Well, yes," I said. "I did."

"They are beautiful," the woman said ... "and I love the way you combined the beauty of landscapes with the 'religious' sayings."

"Oh, thank you" I replied. "The words are from Scripture, and I love them."

Our conversation continued for perhaps ten minutes. The woman's name is Shannon. She is perhaps 30+ and lives here at the village in what used to be her parents' home. She described to me the street where she lives (it's very close by) and said that she paints rocks too! I told her I had seen them and have admired them. She seemed pleased. She paints little rocks, very nicely, with just a word or two on them or ... sometimes just beautiful swirly colors, or a flower!

She wondered how long I had been painting rocks, so I told her that a story in the Bible prompted me and asked her if she knew the story of when Jesus was riding into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday and what happened. She said she didn't know anything about it and asked me to tell her. So I did--a brief version, naturally (how sad that she had never heard that beautiful story)! When I got to the part where Jesus said the rocks would cry out His praises if the people stopped, her face just lit up with happiness.

Shannon also asked if I play the piano. I reluctantly told her that I DO play the piano, although not very well. Do you know what she said? I could hardly believe it, but she was totally sincere! She told me that she walks by my front yard at night to look at and read my rocks AND to listen to me play beautiful music. WHAT?!?!? I was so touched. 

She went on to say that she felt discouraged this morning so she walked over to visit my rocks (!!). She told me that she has a job interview later in the day--a job she has no experience in or education for ... at a juvenile offender home. She wants the job very badly. I told her I would pray for her about it!

"You will?" Shannon looked shocked.

"Yes! I will pray that God gives You his very best--because that's what God does--He looks out for our best interest because He loves us so much. God is awesome!" I told her.

"Can I give you a hug?" Shannon asked.

"Yes!" I responded (I rarely EVER get a hug and I LOVE hugs). So we hugged and she walked away.

Oh, Lord. Please let the Truth of Your Word speak and draw Shannon to You in truth and with her whole heart.

No comments: