Monday, January 31, 2011

Before the storm ...

This is what our back deck looks like today. We have about 8-10" of snow on the ground, but it hasn't been a winter to complain about in any way ... so far, that is. Can you see the little sun-catchers taped to the doorwall? Karis and Jackson painted those for us while they were here over Christmas break. The painted colors are fading somewhat because we get a lot of sun through here ...

We are currently on the northern edge of a BIG winter storm that is due to hit us within 24 hours ... so today while I still could get out of the driveway, I drove over to Meijer Gardens and strolled around the place ...



There were hardly any folk at all at the Gardens today, so I just took my time and enjoyed every little minute I was there!

The tree in the picture above is called a "Thundercloud Plum" ~ it doesn't remind me of a thundercloud whatsoever, but what do I know? My longing for spring and warmth was at least somewhat satisfied today with my visit to the Gardens ~ they keep it so nice and balmy inside!

By Wednesday morning, we could have an additional 10-16" of snow here (along with close to blizzard conditions), and they are saying that is a conservative estimate. If that does indeed happen, I'll be sure to snap a few pictures of our neighborhood to show you.

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

I would love to see the snow pictures! And I love that you could go to the gardens and see the spring flowers still. No snow for us but our temperature dropped 50 degrees since yesterday still- they are even forecasting wind chills around zero if not lower tonight with all the wind we're getting. Yes- it's so windy the house is whistling as I write this!!!

Mom Jones said...

That's mighty cold stuff for you warm folk in Austin! Is the house insulated for that type of cold?! Yikes. I'll tell you ... I would NOT survive without that heated mattress pad! Hope you find a way to stay warm and cozy. We are just now beginning to see the start of some heavy snow, which is supposed to go on throughout the night. I'll try to snap some photos in the morning. Love you!