Monday, July 19, 2021

July 17 and 18 with Emma

Saturday and Sunday:  It was a remarkable few days with Emma this week. What do I mean by that?!? It started out in an unusual manner, first of all. Emma texted me Thursday and asked if it would be OK if she spent Friday night after work over here. I knew there were things going on in her life that she was working through and I welcomed her very much to spend Friday night.

If you have never loved, you don't know how painful it can be. Loving is always worth it, though. But for me, it is oftentimes difficult to sort out WHY it has to hurt this bad. Evidently, that is what God has called us to do as His children--to love--especially our families. I have very often fallen short in that regard. 

I'm so thankful that I have had a safe and welcoming little home for the last nine years. Emma is happy to spend time with me here, and I was glad to have her an extra night--however, she arrived after work--so it was the wee hours of Saturday morning actually. We didn't stay up long to talk, although we had a lot on our minds. Throughout the week a few things had happened that made it apparent that Emma needs to find a place of her own to live. I was hoping that this wouldn't be necessary for a little while yet--but all things considered, it seems it is best for everyone concerned that Emma lives independently. 

I've been praying about this, and hoping against hope that it would not be necessary, and doing what I ALWAYS DO--deny, deny, deny--until I got hit in the face with it this week. I was forced to process what is clearly true and then asked the Lord to give me the courage to be helpful to all concerned. I put out "feelers" throughout my close contacts at church to see if there could be a "studio apartment" or a former "in-law" apartment that is no longer being occupied--at a solid Christian home environment--but separate and private and a place where Emma could just live and grow and heal.

Emma and I had so many good conversations this weekend. Some of it was really hard and I was afraid at times--not knowing what to say to her--but I kept asking the Lord for His help and He gave me a freedom and a confidence to talk with her ... it was really good. I am so grateful that we can be honest with each other. 

Before Emma came over Friday night, I did a little bit of homework. I figure we have to leave "no stone unturned" in our search for living quarters for her. I got on the internet and searched for apartments or studio apartments on this side of town--not too far from Emma's work. Finding affordable housing is really difficult in 2021. I narrowed the search down to just a few places and wrote down the important information. Emma and I talked all of this over together ... calmly and rationally. I am so thankful. This was truly the Lord helping us do this.

On Monday morning (today), we were able to go to the credit union and they issued her a card on the spot (well, we waited 10 minutes)--this too was an answer to prayer. We also resolved the issue of apartment complexes that are in our area--none of the affordable ones have ANY availability until WAY into 2022--so we have scratched those options off our list. 

I told Emma that my little house was a true gift from God and that as I prayed and looked for a place, God answered my prayer WAY above what I had even imagined He would. I am praying He will do the same for my dear Emma. You are loved, dear granddaughter--always. I can't wait to see what God is going to do!

 

No comments: