Wednesday, July 7, 2021

July 3 and 4 with Emma

Saturday/Sunday:  Emma and I watched another Harry Potter movie Saturday night--but as I am "posting" this the following Wednesday, I can't remember if it was the 2nd or the 3rd movie that we actually saw. It was the one with the spiders in it. I think the author should have named the series "Scarry Potter" because ... yikes ... there is some really DARK stuff in these stories. However, since Emma is READING the entire 7-book series (I think this is the first time I have ever seen her excited about READING), I felt it would be good to see the movies together--and it has been a lot of fun. Emma tells me when the movie has switched up the story line. I love hearing that she thinks the books are better than the movies. Yes!

Sunday, we went to church came home and ate lunch and then I forget what we did before finally deciding to drive out to Muskegon to take a walk on the lakeshore. It was late in the afternoon when we left my house and we didn't arrive to the beach until about 6:30. As we rounded the bend and got our first glimpse of Lake Michigan, I spotted a freighter in the distance ... was it coming or going?!?!?!?! I LOVE the big ships. Emma brace herself for my rather erratic driving and parking habits--we zoomed into a space, hopped out of the car and ran towards the channel. The frieghter was on its way IN. Here are the pictures:

Okay ... so just to clarify: EMMA is NOT the freighter ... can you see it, though, just over her right shoulder, next to the lighthouse?

I was SO glad it was COMING instead of going ...
This is the John J. Boland, a 666' freighter built in 1973 in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. It was originally named the Charles E. Wilson but was re-named in 2000 (I have no idea WHY). This is a self unloading freighter! 
Emma and I walked along beside her as she came into the channel ... but we soon found out that our walking was quite a bit slower than what the freighter was doing ...




It was a perfectly beautiful night out here on the Lake. I love this place.


I've never seen this little light all decked out in flags. Emma and I struggled to find the meaning of all of these flags--especially because of the fact that they are flying ABOVE the American flag. We concluded they must be some type of Coast Guard flags ... but I'll have to search this out to see if we are even close to being right.



We walked along the shoreline, headed south to the boardwalk area ... 
Emma frightened a bunch of relaxing seagulls ...





Twilight is such a gorgeous time of day, isn't it?
We walked quite a distance south to where the beach runs out and cement takes over ... and rocks ...


I took advantage of the setting and got some nice pictures of Emma ...










Doesn't Emma look pretty in the dress I donated to her last summer? I actually wore this dress at my mother's funeral three years ago--but it doesn't do a single thing for me and it was a tiny bit tight (!!)--so Emma wears it now. 

I told her she reminded me of the Whomping Willow Tree from Harry Potter in this picture (below) ...
Lake Michigan dunes are amazing ... look how high these are!
We walked to the very end of the boardwalk and then turned around and came back.
We were getting hungry-- and there isn't really much beach-side eating out here at this park ... so we got into my car and drove away from this beautiful spot ...


We ended up eating at McDonald's just a few miles from here. I ordered a Big Mac, because I hadn't eaten one in years ... but I felt super fat afterwards (and still DO!) and have decided I really MUST seriously diet for the rest of the summer or I am going to regret it. 

PS  Isn't the sky so pretty in these pictures?

No comments: