Friday, December 3, 2010

Ready ... set ... F L Y !

I've been packing, for what seems like weeks, to go to El Paso to celebrate an early-Christmas with Jesse's family. I booked this trip right after our fall Texas trip in September because I wanted to get the best possible ticket price at just the right dates in December. I had wanted to stay a full week, but no matter how I tried to arrange flights ~ no matter what day in the week I was leaving and returning home, staying a maximum of five days gave me the best bang for my buck. So I settled for it!

I love to fly ~ it kind of goes along with my love of heights and semi-adventure and love of travel in general. But flying isn't what it used to be, and packing can be a bit tedious. I'm learning, though, and just about have it down to an art. I never check luggage, both because it costs too much and because there is no guarantee I will ever see my luggage again if I do! So I bring a carry-on suitcase and one backpack and ... C R A M everything I possibly can into them. It gets right down to the nitty-gritty as far as what actually travels with me ... what do I really need ~ that becomes the question. Because what is more important than clothing is bringing fun stuff to do with the grandchildren. I have lots of nice art projects prepared for us to do, gifts to make, books to read, games to play ... I'm so excited I've lost sleep thinking about it!
I can't wait to see these beautiful faces!


After reading a book review on my niece's blog, I went over to Barne's & Noble the other day to purchase a copy of "Turk & Runt: A Thanksgiving Comedy" to take with me to El Paso ~ the grandchildren love to hear a new story! I was so disappointed to find that they didn't have one single copy of it in any of their stores in our area. So I ordered it, sight unseen ... and voila'! I got an e-mail from them today telling me it is IN and I can pick it up ... which I am going to do on the way to the airport in the morning!

I most likely will not have access to a computer while I am traveling, so it will be a week or so before I am able to upload any pictures or tell you the story of our Christmas celebration ... but I will just as soon as I am able!

3 comments:

judy hand said...

Your packing idea sounds great. We
checked one large bag last year and
for $20 it was worth it. I guess
they searched it at Atlanta or GR
on our homeward trip. Have fun.
God Bless.

Ruthanne said...

Hope you have such a great visit, Carol. Those kids won't realize what a wonderful grandma they have until they are a bit older, but someday they will know it and feel blessed. I love you and hope you have a wonderful Christmas visit with them. Tell Diana I said, "Congratulations" on her science project! How exciting! Tell Jesse that I said, "Hi, and Merry Christmas" also. We do have so much to thank the Lord for this Christmas - as always. Talk to you later.

Unknown said...

Hope they love the book! Have a wonderful visit with those wonderful kids!