Friday, July 31, 2009

Beans, beans, beans!

Look at Mr. Jones's row of healthy huge bean plants! I think he has a green thumb. Last year, he planted zinnias from seed in this exact same place and had absolutely gorgeous flowers blooming everywhere. This year, he decided to plant beans and beets ~ and today, we began harvesting the beans.I have zero experience growing anything ... I love farms, but am not a farmer ... but watching stuff grow is pretty cool, isn't it?
This is the plant that Grandma Hand gave me out of her flower garden last year so that I could enjoy it in my yard THIS year. It's doing really well. I can't think what it is called! Just beyond it is where I planted my zinnia seeds, and they are not doing well ... they are pathetic. I think I was too zealous about weeding them early on ...
Grandpa Jones and I picked all of the nice plump beans off the plants early this morning. We left the scrawny ones to grow for another week. Thomas K., our watch cat, was close by the whole time.
I was in charge of the cleaning and "snapping" of the beans, while Mr. Jones did the blanching, cooling, drying and bagging ... maintaining the strictest quality control (naturally) the entire time, returning any improperly snapped or not-quite-clean-enough beans to the sink for a re-do! Sigh.
The blanching brings out the greenest of greens, doesn't it? We actually did 20 quarts of beans this morning. You probably remember that I'm not a huge fan of green vegetables. But green beans are okay when they've grown up right next to your garage and are fresh like this ... especially if you add just a bit of bacon, some minced onion and a whole lot of butter when serving them up! So much for healthy vegetables!
" ... You fill the earth with the fruit of Your labor ... You cause the plants to grow for people to use. You allow them to produce food from the earth ..." Psalm 104.13-14

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i LOVE green beans! even raw. maybe especially raw. but i sure wouldn't turn down a baconized one either. =) nice work.