Thursday, December 31, 2015

A Celebration of Life ...

Ed Dobson was my pastor from 1992 until 2005 (when he retired). He was not a personal friend or even a close acquaintance. But I had huge respect for him and a deep admiration for his integrity and his faithfulness to shepherd and teach and guide us folk at Calvary.

Ed was diagnosed with ALS in 2000, but lived another 15 years. He was able to see his daughter get married. He was able to meet and love his grandchildren. God gave him ministry, even after leaving Calvary Church. Ed Dobson was a true man of God. Lorna, his wife, took very good care of Ed while he was sick. She poured out her love on him and so demonstrated the love of Christ to so many.
I was privileged to go to his celebration service on New Year's Eve. He had passed away peacefully the day after Christmas. Dylan and Kelly had purchased his video series, "Ed's Story" for Christmas, along with his book, "Seeing Through the Fog." I will cherish these gifts very much.
I'm so glad I got to sit under Ed's ministry and learn from him so many rich truths. All three times I traveled to Israel, Ed was there with us too. I will always remember those travels and the beautiful stories he taught to us as we walked where Jesus walked.
Pastor had many, many close friends. People loved him everywhere he went. I was not a close friend, but I did love him. So thankful for the impact he had in my life, and what his legacy will continue to do for God's kingdom in the future.

No comments: