Sunday, May 13, 2007

A Mother's Day Without Children?

This MOTHER'S DAY is the first time in 27 years that I have not had even one of my children here at home, and no grandchildren coming over to visit either! Earlier in the week I was feeling rather "blue" thinking about the celebration of Mother's Day without children or grandchildren at the house, but then I turned those sad thoughts into some creative energy and had a really good time making a tribute post for three special mothers . . .

And then I remembered that I TOO HAVE A MOTHER! What was I going to do to honor her on her special day? I made her a card (always good therapy for me), and I printed out some photographs of her and Roy, wallet-size ones that she could send to her friends who have never met him, and then I talked Mr. Jones into taking us all out for lunch today! So immediately after church service this morning, we all met at The Olive Garden down by River Town Crossing Mall.

Worship service at church this morning was wonderful. The singing, the teaching, the fellowship of friends was so encouraging. Our Logos Class met, and I since had finished doing the pictorial version of Psalm 19, I distributed a copy to each family in the class. We read through it together, committing to memorize the first four verses by next Sunday.
Nana, in her Mother's Day finest
We had a hugely enjoyable meal @ Olive Garden
The men finished their entrees, but see how
Nana and I get to have a tasty lunch tomorrow?

This is the now Mrs. Roy Cook, our own Nana
Have you ever seen her THIS happy?

When Mr. Jones and I returned to our empty house, I checked my e-mail and had received Mother's Day greetings from several of my kiddos (even from a daughter who had already sent a beautiful card via snail mail the day before!). I also received two e-cards! My favorite one was set up so that it instructed me to point and click on the objects in a kitchen, i.e. the kitchen sink -- and suddenly, the empty kitchen sink filled up with dirty dishes; if I clicked on the stove, immediately the pans overflowed with food and smoke started pouring out of the oven (hmm! that has happened to me!); if I clicked on the window, a ball came flying through and glass shattered everywhere; if I clicked on the door to the kitchen, it opened up and muddy footprints (a real pet peeve of mine) appeared all across the kitchen floor! The message of the card was that since it was Mother's Day, the hope was that I wouldn't be stuck in a messy kitchen all day -- that I deserved to be treated special!
I also talked on the phone for a little while with some of my children (with little grandchildren voices in the background) and had an especially nice conversation with one of my sons. I read through a post of my daughter-in-law's and found very kind words spoken about me!
So did I have a nice Mother's Day? Yes! Thank you -- dear children and husband and mom -- for your acts of kindness and your deeds of love!

No comments: