Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Birthday Greetings for my Firstborn Son



HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JESSE!




On May 15, 1980 our doorbell rang in the late-afternoon. We were living in an upstairs apartment on the southeast side of Grand Rapids, on the second floor of a very old house, and I was due to give birth in ten days! I hurried to answer the door, tripped on the stairway, fell, and bounced down nine very hard, uncarpeted stairs. OUCH! There was a salesperson at the door and I was not one bit interested in what he was selling. I went back upstairs and called my doctor. I was a little bit worried about that fall down the stairs! He said that I might just give birth a little bit early, so I'd best get ready! I had just stopped working at Ernst & Ernst that week and I had a lot of things left to do . . .

The doctor's warning was correct! A beautiful boy was born 36 hours later, a firstborn son, Jesse Christopher.



I seriously think this is the only time Jesse was ever early!








Jesse blowing out nine candles . . . and then doesn't he look like the cowboy from TOY STORY in this next picture (?). . .
but this is years before the movie.


And here you are two weeks ago -- strong and tall and a soldier! For a mother, time goes by in a strange way. There are times when you wish a little one would grow up and not need you so much . . . but that time always goes by too fast . . . and then they are on their own and so far away . . .

I have a sinking feeling you are "out in the field" and so will not get this birthday greeting. But I want you to know that I'm wishing you a very happy birthday, Jesse. You are loved and very much missed. I looked all over for some good pictures of your younger days, but I was such a terrible photographer -- most of the pictures are terrible quality!





Wherever you are, I am wishing you will have a great day! I know you have the love of Diana, Emma, Chris and Matthew! What a gift that is! We are all really proud of you . . .


I will be praying that this will be your best year ever as you seek the great God who made you, follow in His footsteps and obey His voice . . .

Here is the Scripture I chose for your birth announcement: "The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth . . . he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else . . . He is not far from each one of us. For in him we live and move and have our being . . . we are His offspring." (From Acts chapter 17)

No comments: