Friday, December 19, 2008

A lovely party and a very cool layout ...

This year Mr. Jones and I were invited to the Thursday Night train gang's Christmas party, hosted by Jerry and Pat, who live out in Coopersville. Since he retired, Mr. Jones has been getting reacquainted with lots of old train friends around town; friends that go way back, all the way to when he and Nia were active with train clubs. He now regularly spends Monday evenings over at his friend, Thom's, house (Hudsonville) working on his layout. All throughout the week too, Mr. Jones is working on computer programs and other projects for Thom. And he spends any number of Wednesdays over at his friend Bruce's house, working on his layout as well. The Thursday night crowd is a bunch of these train buddies who get together and watch train videos (yes, there is such a thing), drink soda, eat whatever is offered to them, and chum around like only train folk do!
There were 10 couples at the party ... some folk I met this summer, but a few for the first time last night. The food was yummy, the friendships wonderful, and I think a great time was had by all! Right after dinner, the owner of the house asked if anyone wanted to see his layout downstairs. I was definitely interested because these people do serious trains! I was curious as to how much of the basement was consumed in this fellow's layout. Wow!
This was one of the coolest layouts I have ever seen! Such detail! So realistic!
I was very impressed with Jerry's artistry and talent to put all of this together! He has modeled the Bulldog lines, influenced by New York Central, pre-1968 before the merger of Penn Central (all of this info comes compliments of Mr. Jones) ...
Many of these building's roofs lift off with amazing details inside ... so much fun to see and explore!
There was a gift exchange, which no one told me about ... but I received several beautiful gifts from these nice ladies. This ornament is hand painted and designed by Shirley. How completely perfect for our tree!
This pretty ornament was made by Dee, wife of Al, the couple who live up near Croton Dam and whose place we visited late in the summer (see post from August 2008). Well, next year I will have to be prepared with gifts, now won't I. It is always a bit awkward to be on the receiving end of a gift with nothing to give back! I think everyone understood that this was our first year, so I won't worry about it. I'm glad we were invited!

No comments: