Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A day of trains ... Part II

This is Part II of our Monday train excursion ... Blogger refused to allow me to load any further pictures, so I've been forced to do two separate postings ...
Of the five layouts we visited Monday, I think this one was my favorite ... but I'm not still sure! I loved this steam engine with real steam and authentic sound ...
This layout is an O-gauge collection of engines and cars. It's really fun to see the trains run ... three can run simultaneously ...
The owner/operator has done a beautiful job modeling each scene.

Grandpa Jones was busy taking pictures of every angle of every layout.
If Grandpa Jones was doing the narrative on this post, he would tell you every single detail about what was being modeled here. I don't know very much to tell you about any of it! I was completely impressed, though, with the artistry and detail these folk put into their work.
Doesn't it feel like you are right on this street getting ready for a day of shopping?!


The next place we visited was very cool too. The fellow who has built this layout is a musician ~ and his house was built in 1888. The layout is in his kind of dungeon-like basement. The buildings he has modeled were SO amazing ... look at this church!

... complete with graveyard!
He did a really nice job on the river, tugboat, barge, bridges too ...
I concluded Monday that all of these people who do model railroading are on the level of geniuses ... serious!

By the time we got to the last place we were visiting, I was kind of tuckered out from all of these trains ... and all of the train language and details that were very foreign to me! It all began to look alike to me! Very unfortunate, since NONE of it is!
This fellow is freelancing a modern urban layout of the TP & S Division of the Sante Fe in and about the Chicago area ...


There was even a sign on the top of one of the buildings lit with fluorescent lighting ...
So ... you've probably seen enough model trains to last you awhile, right? I walked away really impressed with all of the folk who are involved in this hobby. I like their enthusiasm and commitment to historical detail, and I really really admire their artistic talent as well!

No comments: