Wednesday, September 22, 2010

FALL TEXAS TRIP: Day 22

When you start driving across the vast state of Texas, there are times when you wonder if there is EVER going to be an end ... not to your trip ... just to getting OUT of Texas! We finally did by about mid-afternoon today ... but I was starting to wonder! We had a completely unremarkable day, so much so that I only took seven pictures all day long! That was probably because for the most part of our day I was sleeping. I'm really a terrible traveling companion. There is something about the motion of car that works like a drug in my system ~ seriously! I took a picture of this truck carrying the horse because a few minutes before this truck came by, there was a truck full of chickens (with feathers subsequently flying all over the freeway) that I failed to catch a picture of!
We drove into Forrest City, Arkansas somewhere about 5:30 this evening (local time). We decided to drive a few miles and taste some Arkansas catfish at a little dive called "The Catfish Island Restaurant." I was all set to take a picture of the outside of the place, but it was such a pathetic looking building, that you would have thought we were crazy to have eaten there if you could see it!
We sat under the beady and very dead eyes of these beasties and consumed our catfish with 60's gospel music playing tunes like "Just a Closer Walk" and "I'd Rather Have Jesus". A very enjoyable dinner! I had been SO hungry from our drive, and also the fact that I'd hardly eaten anything in more than 48 hours, that I ordered way too many catfish and couldn't finish all of them. Grandpa Jones helped me out with them.
On the bulletin board up by the cash register, I noticed the gift certificate (above) for one free visit to Dr. Kevorkian ... yikes!

We hope to finish up our drive to Michigan sometime tomorrow, probably arriving home quite late. We've been listening to another audio book while traveling, which makes the long drive more tolerable. I feel rather homesick tonight and will be glad to finally be home!

P.S. I was able to successfully load yesterday's pictures from Bandera to yesterday's post ~ check them out!

No comments: