Thursday, September 2, 2010

FALL TEXAS TRIP: Day 2

We had another long travel day today and are resting for the night in Amarillo, Texas ... YES! We are IN Texas! However, most of the day tomorrow, we are going to be driving through New Mexico before we get back into Texas once again very near El Paso. Anyway, the last time we were in Amarillo, it was under a blizzard warning ... six months ago! As we traveled through Oklahoma today, though, the temperature was in the high 90's all day, and once it even registered 100 degrees on our outside temperature gauge! The picture above was taken early this morning as we were pulling out of Rolla in some light fog. I loved driving through the Ozarks this morning!
How would you like to climb this tower? I'm not sure anyone does anymore. It reminded me of the forest ranger cartoons (Yogi Bear) I used to watch as a little kid.
We really had a truly unremarkable day on the road. Nothing much was happening! This billboard reminded me of two gentlemen I worked with back in 1974 ... Sam and Bill, at Child Evangelism Fellowship ~ they drew the cover of the children's magazine each month and I was secretary to the editor! Just a few years after I worked with them, they went on to be "Jonathan and David" and then "Precious Moments." They were (are) really talented folk! I'm not sure how they ended up moving to Missouri.
I'm not sure why I'm posting this billboard ... except I did a doubletake ... those two people looked so REAL on top of it!
This scene above is a typical small Oklahoma ranch. I think we saw 100's like this one today! Oklahoma takes awhile to drive across. And the wind was very strong. The van was shaking like crazy! I'm glad we are safely in Amarillo for the night. We hope to make it to El Paso sometime tomorrow afternoon. I'm not sure where we are staying yet when we arrive and just what the internet access will be like, but I will try to keep in touch!

2 comments:

judy hand said...

Very interesting pictures. And how about that you worked with Jonathon and David. Keep Safe.

Thursday said...

Last year in Flagstaff my parents and I hiked to the top of a mountain and found a forest ranger station...manned! We got to talk to the young man in charge there about what he did, and what it was like to keep an eye on fires. It was a trip highlight.