Thursday, November 4, 2010

Almost to the tippy top ...

I've always had a thing for heights ... and catwalks have forever intrigued me. I remember first walking into Calvary Church in January 1992, looking up to see how high the ceiling in the sanctuary was and discovering ... THIS catwalk ... can you see it? The picture on the left shows the catwalk hanging from the ceiling and the picture on the right shows the rather wobbly ladder, which is the only access to the catwalk from the already-high balcony. Well, ever since I first laid eyes on this catwalk, I have wanted very badly to ... walk on it ...
You never really know how long you're going to live, right? And no one has any guarantees of tomorrow! So last night, Grandpa Jones and I were part of a "cleaning crew" in preparation for Festival of Lights. All of the huge spot lights had to be taken down, taken apart, and cleaned ... and then the lenses had to be recalibrated, etc. I don't know anything about anything mechanical or electrical ... but I do know how to clean! There was a whole bunch of nice folk who joined together last night to get the job accomplished, so it was a lot of fun. And as a reward for my small part in the cleaning effort, I was promised that I could do what I've wanted to now for more than 18 years ...
Climbing that crazy ladder was the only scary part (descending it was worse!) ... because once you are up on the catwalk ... look! It's like a cool little passageway with very secure handrails and everything ... not one bit dangerous!
This is the view DOWN from the catwalk ... see? I'm actually ABOVE the balcony which is above the lower seating ... I don't know if it shows well in this picture ...
See Grandpa Jones waving to me? He is standing at the very top of the balcony and seems really really far away from up on the catwalk ... I find heights exhilarating!
A bird's eye view of where pastor preaches ... and the orchestra pit and choir loft ... wonderful! Now ... if I could ONLY get to that clear glass platform overlooking the Grand Canyon! :)

8 comments:

Thursday said...

I love how God works out relationships in a lot of different areas, and I always feel that the fact that you and Sabrina both love climbing things is a great example of that. Such a neat adventure...thanks for sharing the story and pictures for those of us who will never see that view (and would probably not be able to handle the ladder if it was offered). :)

Mom Jones said...

Actually, Suz, Sabrina is a far better climber and is also less fearless than me ~ last year when we were climbing rocks at Pedernales Falls (near Austin) I managed to climb a rock and then couldn't figure out how to get back DOWN! So Sabrina rescued me. I had the same sensation the other night when trying to maneuver myself back onto that wobbly ladder to begin my descent ... I wished Sabrina was there to coax me down! I did finally manage it. I love heights ~ more than that, I love VIEWS from heights ... and that's what I'm after ... the VIEW. Glad you enjoyed the view from the catwalk! :)

loisgroat said...

You and Joanna: Two insane peas in a pod!

Sabrina said...

I wish I would have been there too because you know I would have been right next to you!!!!! Too fun mom! I'm only a bit jealous of your climbing adventure- I've always wanted to do the same thing at Calvary!

Mom Jones said...

I know, Sabrina! My cousin Lois thinks we (and her daughter) are a bit insane ... but we're NOT! :)

And doesn't that glass platform at the Grand Canyon make you crazy to go there?!!!

Thursday said...

I think being after the view even when the climb is scary is a great metaphor for the Christian life.

judy hand said...

Can do those bucket list things any
time in our lives when the occasion
arrives, right. I am all for it.

Lynette Peters Fall said...

Carol:
I absolutely get it! I too saw that catwalk and was intrigued when we first came to Calvary! Love your photos from the heights!
Thanks for sharing :)