Thursday, November 25, 2010

So much to be thankful for ...

First of all, HAPPY THANKSGIVING! We had a very nice day here with family. I was given instructions on how to properly cook a turkey from my daughter-in-law, Diana ~ I followed them carefully and ... voila! A beautiful and tasty turkey! However, the picture above is NOT my turkey. After going to all the trouble of injecting it with herbs, spices, butter, etc., I carved it all up (rather haphazardly) and completely forgot to take its picture! I'm very glad to have this recipe and will hopefully learn to fine-tune it through the years.

I received a call around the middle of the morning from Jesse ~ how nice to hear his voice! They were having quite a group of folk over to their house later in the day, so he was calling to talk when he had the chance! Thanks for calling, Jesse.

Dylan and Kelly are out of town visiting Kelly's aunt and uncle and grandpa, but I was able to talk to Dylan this morning too. And later on today, I received calls from Sabrina (Austin, TX) and my brother David (Florida). I'm thankful today for the love of my family. I'm thankful for each person the Lord has put into it.

We didn't have a big group today around our table ~ so many of our dear family live very far away ~ but we did have Shane, Adam, Emily, Jeremiah, Nana and Roy! Even with only seven around the table it was ... crowded! There just never is enough room in our tiny dining room to make everything fit. But that's OK. We at least HAVE a dining room. We had a lovely meal and enjoyed our time together.
This is the very-fun-to-make four-layer pumpkin cake I made yesterday ... it was both delicious and pretty!
One out of eleven grandchildren ... Jeremiah! We are thankful we got to spend some time with you today, Little Mister! Adam, Emily and Jeremiah flew in late last night from Minneapolis and are here until Sunday. How nice to see them two months in a row!

This last week in our children's ministry at church, we studied the story of the 10 lepers who came to Jesus to be healed ~ and how only one of those sick fellows returned to say thanks for what Jesus had done for him. I'm afraid I'm a lot like those other nine guys who ... glad that Jesus intervenes in time of need, but very forgetful to kneel at His feet and give Him thanks. I'm trying to turn that around in my life. Our former pastor (who has ALS) says that he makes a point to give thanks to the LORD for every little good thing in his life. Sometimes he will open up his dresser drawers one by one and just thank the LORD for every item in each drawer. I was really touched when I read about him doing that. Anyway, I want to be more intentionally THANKFUL this year!

"Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders you have done! The things you planned for us no one can recount to you; were I to speak and tell of them, there would be too many to declare." PSALM 40:5

We truly do have an Awesome God!

No comments: