Sunday, April 11, 2021

April 10 Matthew's 16th birthday

Saturday:  We celebrated Matthew's birthday today because it IS Matthew's very date of birth--today! I put up some balloons, ordered Matt's favorite chocolate ice cream cake, wrapped presents, made a taco meal and got all ready for everyone to arrive. When I say EVERYONE, I mean to say that Jesse, Chris, Matt, Emma and Kaity were coming over. That is NOT a lot of folk, but it is five very dear people who haven't been over to my house at the same time in quite awhile.


This is Matt's birthday cake BEFORE the catastrophe ...
This is Matt's cake after I realized that my freezer and frig were BROKEN ... i.e. NOT WORKING! No wonder the milk kept spoiling! Duh. Thankfully, Matt took this all in good humor and the cake still tasted delicious. However, it was more of a milk SHAKE cake than an ice cream one.
This gy-normous box is Emma's gift to her brother. She ordered his present just after Christmas (I think) and has been anticipating his birthday for quite a long time!

The kiddos played a game of Jengo first ...


Kaity and Jesse played a few memory games ...



The Jenga games were multiple ...
Matthew was finally ready to open gifts ...
Chris felt obligated to "rough up" the birthday boy a bit ...
This is a collage of pictures Emma took of Matt opening the PS4 game I got Matt, along with a new wireless controller.

I also got Matthew an NIV study Bible with his name engraved on it, with prayer that he will open it and read the very words of God, listen to His loving voice, and follow Him all the days of his life.
FINALLY ... the huge present was being opened ...

This is a "gaming chair", very nice, for Matt's room at his house. Jesse is going to put it together for him.


We ate our taco dinner and then the kiddos played a few games. I loved listening to their laughter and comraderie ... siblings that are separated by circumstances not of their own making.


I got the strong impression that these three have a lot of love for each other and that they miss being together.
Kaity cuddled up with her daddy. She is still quite a bit younger than her older brothers and Emma ... but she did just fine today with all of us.

Emma and I designed cards for Matthew and got to say exactly what was on our hearts--the advantage of homemade cards. I love you very much, Matthew John, and I hope this small birthday celebration demonstrated some of that love to you.

No comments: