Saturday, April 24, 2021

April 14 My Grandma Cuthbert

Wednesday:  This was a working day for David in his wonderful home office--I'll have to tell you about Speedy Legal in a separate post. But while he was working, I wandered around their house looking at "stuff." I came across an old Bible of my mother's and inside I found this: a picture of HER mom, my Grandma Cuthbert. She died when my mother had just turned 17, so I never got to meet Alberta Victoria Macksay Cuthbert.


My mom didn't often speak about her mother--but I remember a few things she would say. She wasn't crazy about her name: Alberta -- and said that people often shortened it down to just "Bert", which she thought was rather a horrid name. BUT I do remember my mother saying how much she did love her mom and how hard she worked. There was evidently some "accident" where she was working and something fell against her body, injuring her. My mom claims this was why she contracted breast cancer--but I don't think that is actually possible--just sayin. 

My Grandma Cuthbert did die of cancer at the very young age of 51. She was born in March 1898. This is her funeral "program" that was also inside the Bible.


I'm trying to remember anything else my mom has told me about Grandma Cuthbert--but I am coming out with a total blank. I would have liked to have met her. Mom said that she handled a difficult marriage (to my rather stern Grandpa John Cuthbert) and did not have many friends after she married. So ... that is sad. The article (on the left) states that she had many friends BEFORE she was married ... hmmm ...

The picture in the lower left is what Alberta Victoria Macksay Cuthbert looked like later in her life. I do not see much of my own mother in her face--possibly just her nose. If what my mom told me about her is true (that she knew Jesus), then I will meet her one day ... will you come quickly, Lord Jesus? We sure would all like to see You come soon!
 

No comments: