Saturday, April 24, 2021

April 17 Sun 'N Fun Air Show!

Saturday:  David got us FRONT ROW tickets to the Sun 'N Fun Airshow in Lakeland, Florida! We arrived just about when the gate opened up (8AM) even though the show didn't officially begin until noon.  Arriving "early" like this afforded us a better parking place, and a much better seat to view the air show. This entire grassy area (and more) was designed "special" seating ... we were able to grab five chairs right in the very front row! Daniel and Andrew joined us later in the morning.

The morning was very overcast and we even had a few sprinkles! We were a little bit concerned that the show itself could be cancelled ... due to poor visibility and low clouds, etc.
David and I walked around looking at all the cool displays and aircraft. I did not remember David being this into airplanes ... but then I remembered that dad used to build model planes and fly (mostly crash) them in a field nearby our house on the West side of Detroit. David bought me a "chip" so that I could play "PLINKO" and I won a free flashlight! Yes! 
I am wondering if these little Piper planes are similar to the ones Scott and Robin used to fly in Peru ...


We walked around--me snapping pictures, and David examining the aircraft.


I believe that these are the type of aircraft (below) that Jesse crossed the Atlantic in on his way to his duties in Baghdad. This plane is mammoth. 
And I wondered, too, if this helicopter was similar to copters Jesse flew in as well ... I will have to ask him.



It was finally time for the air show to start! About 30 minutes prior, the clouds started clearing, and blue sky appeared! Yes! The show started with sky divers bringing down the American Flag--a very pretty sight.




There were many stunt pilots that flew amazingly ...







And the Blue Angels were there too! They were VERY cool to watch.







I'm glad I had the opportunity to attend this air show. The only other air show I have ever gone to was in El Paso at Ft. Bliss just after Jesse had been deployed to Iraq. I was glad to be with my little kiddos, but my heart was so sad the entire time thinking of Jesse so far away and in such a dangerous place. Watching this air show was far less stressful for me!

No comments: