Saturday, April 24, 2021

April 16 A picnic, alligator hunt, and Lake Tarpon

Friday evening:  We packed up sandwiches and snacks and drove over to Lake Tarpon for a little picnic dinner and alligator hunt ...

I know it's weird ... but I really REALLY want to see an alligator out in the REAL WORLD just basking in the sun or walking along in the grass. I see pictures all the time of alligators strolling around Florida--parking lots, golf courses, etc. I really want to take a picture of one out in the WILD--not in a cage or behind a fence! David and Carol tried very hard to help me find an alligator.
We walked around paths and docks--David had binoculars ... but zero alligators made their appearance.
Lake Tarpon is about 15-20 minutes from Safety Harbor. It is a 2500 acre fresh water lake--very beautiful place!
Look! Aren't the trees so interesting?
I love the little lizards that run around.


We bumped into a lady who told us if we drove over to Shelter Six, we could see a mother owl and her baby--she said we couldn't POSSIBLY miss them! So we drove over to Shelter Six ... I had a really difficult time SEEING the owls ... but David handed me the binoculars and then I could see them way up in the tree above us.



There is a lookout tower that we climbed to get the best view of the lake. David said that he and Carol might launch the SS Adele from here one night and just explore a little bit. Since it is fresh water, it wouldn't be so difficult to wash the boat up afterwards. Perhaps THEY will see an alligator in the wild this way ...

There are so many pretty places nearby where David and Carol live! 

No comments: