Saturday, April 24, 2021

April 19 The St. Augustine Lighthouse

Monday:  Just a small warning before you bother with this post ... there are 50+ pictures ... I couldn't help myself! This is my IDEAL lighthouse! Perfect in color, height, oldness (!), view ... and I would say perfect in location--except this lighthouse would be SO MUCH BETTER if it was in Michigan!

My much loved brother, David ... who LIKES lighthouses and all things nautical ... but he isn't a exactly as fanatical about lighthouses as he is about boats--which I completely understand ... almost.

The St. Augustine Lighthouse was finished in 1874. To reach the tippy top, you must climb 219 stairs (which equals 14 stories!).
This is the keeper's house ... also PERFECT.

The stairs are ... AMAZING ...
Looking up, up, UP!
There are very cool informational postings on the landings -- there are a total of EIGHT landings (very thankful for those landings by the way).
Aren't the windows ... PERFECT?

I can't quite imagine experiencing an earthquake while climbing these steps ... or while at the top!

Read this: Oh.my.word.
The view from the top is SO gorgeous ...




The Keeper's house way below ...
David taking pictures (of the boats most likely) from the top ...


The shadow of the tower ...
Looking down, down, D - O - W - N !
One of the beautiful landings ...



I think the climb DOWN was dizzier than the climb up ... but that's probably due to my vertigo.
The grounds outside of the lighthouse are really beautifully kept, and there is so much to look at!



I love these little lizards.

Imagine climbing these 219 stairs every 2.5 hours with a 25# oil container ... 






There was a lovely gift shop (yes!) and quite an extensive museum with a large veranda ...

Because of its height (and my lack of a telephoto lens), it is difficult to get this gorgeous lighthouse all in a landscape picture without cutting off parts of it ... so the only solution we could think of was to walk outside the grounds to see what we could capture from the beach and the docks.






I like some of these shots ... good enough to use for some future cards. What a wonderful time we had together at this place--I will remember this for a very long time!

No comments: